HELP! Culvert in my garden.

Well after today's rain I expected to see it running, but nothing. Yet on a sunny day it flowed twice, stopping and starting. Think I'm going to dig out a bit more a find hopefully a descent bit then repipe it around the pond

Whereabouts do you live?

Eckington.

I got a surprise phone call from Yorkshire water today asking if I has sorted out the problem, I told them the council and other water companies were not interested, so he is sending someone to have a look in the next 48hrs, even if they can't do anything it maybe something they have come across before and be able to advise me.

I'm still can't understand where the water came from, when it was running it was a bright sunny day, and yet we have had 2 days of resin and nothing has happened since.

Eckington.

I got a surprise phone call from Yorkshire water today asking if I has sorted out the problem, I told them the council and other water companies were not interested, so he is sending someone to have a look in the next 48hrs, even if they can't do anything it maybe something they have come across before and be able to advise me.

I'm still can't understand where the water came from, when it was running it was a bright sunny day, and yet we have had 2 days of resin and nothing has happened since.

Well that's the reason..... blocked waterway:roll:

• 3 months later...
I am wondering if anyone can help me with what started as an upgrade to my pond, After digging it deeper and wider I came across some lumps of stone in my garden about 2ft down, so being me I hit them with a big hammer and removed the things, then found there was a cavity inside although it was somewhat damp and full of silt I assumed it wasn't in use as it must be at least a few decades old and not shown on any plans I have for drainage at my house.

Anyway the hole has sat there looking at me for 3 to 4 weeks as I tidied it up ready for the day my pond was delivered, after putting a ton or so of sand in last night for the base I awoke after a night of no rain to find about 3 inches of water in it and a steady flow of what looks like clean water flowing in, this continued for a few hours and then stopped and drained away, then a few hours later off we go again flowing and filling. At the minute it has drained again and no more water. I have phoned Seven Trent water and they said they couldn't help and told me to phone Yorkshire Water, and guess what they said, phone Seven Trent. Acouple of trips round the block and I was told phone the council as they deal with culverts. I am waiting a call back.

Just wondered if anyone has any constructive ideas what I can do with it, with out it costing me an arm and a leg.

I am assuming there will be an entrance to it somewhere?and should it be in use or should it be blocked off?

Perhaps you have sorted this out now? I'm researching the lost rivers and streams of Sheffield, and would be interested to know more. Take a look at this map - does your house lie over one of these lost rivers I've found?

If you want, you can DM me an address/postcode and I'll send you a close-up map for you to check.

Adam Broadhead

---

Catchment Science Centre, University of Sheffield

This problem has gone away now.. well at least it is burried under my new pond. No signs of anything sinking in the garden or flooding for that matter. I did check on the paper work we got from the previous owners of the house and couldn't see anything but thanks anyway.we have got several maps from the early 1800's and they dont show a river but there does appear to have been wells all over the place and looking at the location of one it was pretty close to our house if not under it. I assume it will have been filled in but maybe sometimes it fills up who knows?

This problem has gone away now.. well at least it is burried under my new pond. No signs of anything sinking in the garden or flooding for that matter. I did check on the paper work we got from the previous owners of the house and couldn't see anything but thanks anyway.we have got several maps from the early 1800's and they dont show a river but there does appear to have been wells all over the place and looking at the location of one it was pretty close to our house if not under it. I assume it will have been filled in but maybe sometimes it fills up who knows?

In which case, it may likely have been a shallow well rather than a culverted watercourse. Many wells and natural springs have been covered over or loosely filled in, though as you have found, are still there. The source of water is still there, and so although it may be dry in summer, it is likely that it could still contain water during wetter months as the ground water replenishes it.

Archived