Is society sane?

at a local level, no. especially some of the council's well-meaning policies, for example road safety and environmental policy. throwing speed humps around slows the traffic down, but increases fuel consumption and pollution. so where there are humps on the roads around schools, less kids are hit by cars, but all the kids are breathing in more traffic fumes.

two policies designed to improve everyone's quality of life, in this case they essentially cancel each other out.

and the road safety improvements on shiregreen, IMO have had the opposite effect.

i very rarely have 'near misses' except on hartley brook road, at least one a week. either some drivers misjudge how long it takes to get round the traffic calming, or they think they can bully their way past oncoming traffic, followed by 'i'll get back on my side of the road in my own good time, thank you very much'. personally, i like to be on the wrong side of the road for as short a time as possible, preferably not at all.

the speed bumps are mostly on the main roads and bus routes through shiregreen, but not on the side roads where the kids play, where's the sense in that?

irrational, senseless, very foolish, stupid or absurd? yep, the council is barking.

The implication is that Canada is a saner society then we are. What's different about them?

they bathe in maple syrup

though more seriously, over the years i've worked with several canadians and they have been uniformly bonkers

Society is clearly insane. While much of the world starves, over here we put massive resources into persuading people to buy things like mobile phones (not just comunication devices, but the latest, most expensive gadget phones, which will be used briefly then discarded in favour of the next 'latest' model). We put so much effort into persuading members of society to engage in acts that basically make them more miserable.

The richest societies (eg much of the west) has the highest rates of misery/depression and suicides. That's clearly not sane.

The most medically advanced societies have the highest rates of avoidable diseases and death (obesity, for example, people are so unhappy they gorge themselves into illness, despite having clear access to medical advice which could tell them exactly what they need to do to have excellent health).

Our highly advanced educational system produces high levels of non-rational behaviour and people who, whilst being highly 'intelligent' are unable to either control their own counter-productive cravings, or, see how they are manipulated into self-harming behaviour by organisations devoted to 'marketing'.

Cars- stand by the roadside during rush hour: does that look sane?

Great post onewheeldave.

Archived