Is society sane?

Society is clearly insane. While much of the world starves, over here we put massive resources into persuading people to buy things like mobile phones (not just comunication devices, but the latest, most expensive gadget phones, which will be used briefly then discarded in favour of the next 'latest' model). We put so much effort into persuading members of society to engage in acts that basically make them more miserable.

The richest societies (eg much of the west) has the highest rates of misery/depression and suicides. That's clearly not sane.

The most medically advanced societies have the highest rates of avoidable diseases and death (obesity, for example, people are so unhappy they gorge themselves into illness, despite having clear access to medical advice which could tell them exactly what they need to do to have excellent health).

Our highly advanced educational system produces high levels of non-rational behaviour and people who, whilst being highly 'intelligent' are unable to either control their own counter-productive cravings, or, see how they are manipulated into self-harming behaviour by organisations devoted to 'marketing'.

Cars- stand by the roadside during rush hour: does that look sane?

A small part of whats wrong with our society unfortunately dave

Isn't it all relative? Something (or someone) can only be said to be sane, or insane, relative to another point of reference?

If a 'sane' spaceman landed on a planet inhabited by 'insane' aliens; the aliens would probably consider the spaceman 'insane' and themselves 'sane'.

Is there an absolute standard for sane and insane?

On the other hand, I can totally see how society is completely dysfunctional, because of the paradigms we esteem. We let ourselves be driven, individually and as a society, by wholly artificial constructs such as money.

Cavegirl doesn't seem to have posted for some months now, which is a pity.

One thing you often hear about insanity is that the insane individual doesn't realise they're insane- that they have no insight into their irrationality.

With that in mind, I have to wonder whether our society as a whole would be considered relatively more sane or more insane to an outsider or observer.

I'm defining insanity here as - irrational, senseless, very foolish, stupid or absurd. As normalised or accepted widespread behaviour that causes harm.

If, let's say, a person believes a god exists. That person isn't going to view those beliefs as irrational - and that person isn't going to view the rituals and beliefs inspired by that particular god belief as irrational or senseless. Praying to that god or sacrificing humans or animals to gain favours and prevent its wrath is all going to seem quite logical, rational and sensible.

To any outsider, alien or not, those beliefs and behaviours are going to seem irrational, senseless or absurd - especially when the premises behind those beliefs and behaviours are baseless or incapable of being substantiated.

Aliens may seem quite insane to us too - especially if they hop on one leg a few times a day while wearing a tinfoil hat.

I think they'd probably think we are, to some extent, insane.

I think they'd probably think we are, to some extent, insane.

And I think to a large extent they'd be correct in that supposition.

A species which claims to be civilised and yet is incapable of settling disputes without resorting to killing each other has little argument against a charge of both insanity and stupidity.

There almost seems to be a consensus of opinion that as the human population, we are our own worst enemy (individually). I say individually because of the selfish aspect or instant gratification of human nature. If we look at the valid points highlighted by onewheeldave (#6), it could be said that “self first” is perhaps often the underlying reason for the way things are.

Cavegirl doesn't seem to have posted for some months now, which is a pity.

If I remember she got a lot of "sandal wearing, lentil munching" diatribe thrown at her by our resident multi persona's who lacked any form of intellectual capacity. Maybe it took its toll. Agree whole heartedly janie, tis a pity.

There almost seems to be a consensus of opinion that as the human population, we are our own worst enemy (individually). I say individually because of the selfish aspect or instant gratification of human nature. If we look at the valid points highlighted by onewheeldave (#6), it could be said that “self first” is perhaps often the underlying reason for the way things are.

Going to nitpick here.

We are not a herd with some special mind melding technique creating one brain in control of us all. And if that was the case, you'd still end up with an individual - a single entity(in mind at least) - with most of the same self-serving aspects of our nature. There would still be a need for instant gratification, and putting yourself first.

Herd or individual, self-serving aspects of our nature would still be present. Just a thought.

But yes, I agree with a lot of what onewheeldave said. And I'll add to it: as a society we often get our priorities wrong. People value celebs, athletes, entertainers and junk more than education, the environment, science, scientists, doctors, nurses, cleaners - all those things and people that actually make a difference. There's nothing that ...me off more than watching some guy get paid millions for kicking a football around while some scientist gets paid pittance for trying to find a cure for cancer.

That's my rant over :)

Archived