The Queens Grounds

Lucy-Lastic

On looking at old maps it seems that our house stands on where the Queens Grounds would have been (opposite the Hillsborough Barracks). What would it have been used for - a quick google only came up with the Queens Ground Inn? Was it likely to have had thick stone walls at the boundry as I think we may have the remains as part of our boundry walls?

LisaHxxx

LisaH. During the 20's/30's there were many talented and professional runners in Sheffield. The Queen's Ground is where they ran. The pub opposite the Barracks, by the old boys club, is called the Queen's Ground and was their HQ.

Cant have existed as was in the 1920s/30s as my house was built on it in 1897. Didnt seem to exist on a 1855 map but was on an 1890 map and not on a 1904 map so it inly existed a short time. I guessed that the pub had some link but wasnt sure:) So it was a sporting field?

LisaH xxx

• 2 years later...

Hi LisaH. As far as I know the Queens Ground, opposite the Hillsborough Barracks, was one of several venues in Sheffield in the Victorian era where professional running was staged. Also pedestrianism (a mix of walking and running, usually over long distances). The Ball Inn ground was another, and there was also one just past Sheff United's ground at Bramall Lane. Some of these events also took place at the Edmund Road Drill Hall. If you look up anything about the famous Sheffield pedestrian George Littlewood, it might lead to your obtaining more information. I am sure there must be some fascinating stories about the Queen's Ground before it disappeared, for in that era professional racing with gambling on the course was a very popular activity --people used to walk and ride miles just to watch these races.

Archived