Archaeology a roadblock?

In a nutshell,trees fall,rot and turn to earth, also other things on top of other things and they rot and lay on top of other things and it builds up.When earth had 100%+ oxygen, things where huge, eg trees and animals.All this laid on the molten rock after earth cooled,simples.

How did the physical infrastructure of not too distant human history, old buildings and walls etc, become so totally abandoned for long enough for that to happen?

Developers should, of course. They want to develop land, and if of archaeological interest, they should be happy to pay. If they are not, then develop land of no interest. Simple :)

The only thing simple is you if you believe it is that simple :hihi:

How did the physical infrastructure of not too distant human history, old buildings and walls etc, become so totally abandoned for long enough for that to happen?

It's not like they're finding entire structures underground, it's just ruins and foundations of old buildings, along with random items and stuff.

I reckon that when a builder wants to get on with a site construction so as to provide people with houses and work, it's criminal when archaeologists get in the way and delay everything, then make the builder pay for the honour. One of the troubles with this country is that it's too rooted in the past. Who cares what out heritage may be? Any comments, please?

The budget set aside for archaeological work is almost always absolutely miniscule compared to the overall development budget- most building companies don't mind paying for the work to be done because if something interesting is discovered they get to advertise their part in it. For the few that struggle to pay for works they can apply to English Heritage for a grant if the site is considered interesting enough. There's no legal requirement to carry out archaeological work- it's all done through PPG 16 Guidelines, but still companies willingly pay for the work to be carried out.

The timescale is usually a few days to about 3 months depending upon what's discovered, it's hardly hampering the future to wait an extra 3 months considering the information that's often gained from archaeological sites.

Who cares about our heritage? Time Team had 2.5 million viewers and 4000 new archaeologists graduate each year so I guess you could start with those figures and then start adding English Heritage site and museum visitor numbers. Our heritage is also one of the cornerstones of our tourist industry.

This may seem like a daft question but why is so much physical history underground? where did all the earth, that we're standing on, come from that bury's all the "history" we're having to dig up?

The main burial processes on archaeological sites are glacial deposits, alluvial deposits (flood sediments), aeolian deposits (wind-blown sands and silts), down slope erosion deposits and in situ soil forming processes upon the underlying sediment.

Most archaeological structures have been robbed of their useful building stone which is why we usually uncover only the foundations though if a building collapses and decays in situ this can also help to bury what remains.

...4000 new archaeologists graduate each year so ...

Wow! I didn't realise there was work for that many archaeologists!

My brother is an archaeologist (practically retired now) and I remember that during his early years, he was always scratching around trying to raise funds.

I reckon that when a builder wants to get on with a site construction so as to provide people with houses and work, it's criminal when archaeologists get in the way and delay everything, then make the builder pay for the honour. One of the troubles with this country is that it's too rooted in the past. Who cares what out heritage may be? Any comments, please?

But what if the Archaeologists find something interesting and the person who pays them makes a feature out of their findings and makes a lot of money as a result of it?

Archived