Should the Met be allowed to discriminate against whites?

Should the Met be allowed to discriminate against whites?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Met be allowed to discriminate against whites?

• Yes
    • No

I see the arguments for getting more non whites into the police, but I don't agree with this method of achieving it.

Rather than create quotas, it would be more beneficial and less problematic to target under represented groups in order engage their interest in joining the police service.

I agree.

They may even wish to provide support and training through community groups to help those interested to be better equipped to meet the entry requirements. But those entry requirements should be the same for all.

like it or not England is still a white majority country, but we DO have very large ethnic communities, there is a small trickle of ethnic minorities who join up, its not about discriminating against the indigenous, its about making its ranks look less like a racist institution and more like a force in the 21st centuary, AND being able to police these communities better

Sorry mel but thats just claptrap.

Really Sarah - which part of it is claptrap exactly?

'England is a white majority country' - True.

'Large ethnic communities' - True.

'Small numbers of ethnic minorities joining up' - True.

''its about making its ranks look less like a racist institution and more like a force in the 21st centuary''

Which bit of this do you take issue with?

About 13 years ago the support worker job I applied and got (with a council) was on a GOQ basis (Genuine Occupational Qualification). The job required a male for the job rather than a female.

Why was it not right for my employers to discriminate? Why was it 'a poilitically correct mindf**k'?

in that case i'd say that the service users you would be supporting in that role would be uncomfortable with carers of the opposite gender, and it would be detrimental to the user's wellbeing to appoint them.

that's not discrimination - that's selecting the best available candidate based upon the requirements of that particular job.

under the skin, men and women are different. under the skin, there is nothing to differentiate a white man from a black man.

placing one higher than the other is discrimination, full stop. good night.

in that case i'd say that the service users you would be supporting in that role would be uncomfortable with carers of the opposite gender, and it would be detrimental to the user's wellbeing to appoint them.

that's not discrimination - that's selecting the best available candidate based upon the requirements of that particular job.

under the skin, men and women are different. under the skin, there is nothing to differentiate a white man from a black man.

placing one higher than the other is discrimination, full stop. good night.

Some service users might be uncomfortable with carers of a different ethnicity and their welling being would be best served by providing careers from their ethnicity. The best person for the job in this case would need to be selected on the basis of race.

Some service users might be uncomfortable with carers of a different ethnicity and their welling being would be best served by providing careers from their ethnicity. The best person for the job in this case would need to be selected on the basis of race.

So if I ever need a carer in my life,do I have the right to ask for a white carer? seems a little racist to me.(and I genuinely don't know the legal answer to that either :D)

I can understand needing certain translators,but don't get why they would need to be of the same ethnicity.

Archived