Should the Met be allowed to discriminate against whites?

Should the Met be allowed to discriminate against whites?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Met be allowed to discriminate against whites?

• Yes
    • No

Positive discrimination is still discrimination.

Its wrong and in this case its racist. If ethnics and immigrants want to get on in the UK then they should do son on their own merits. NOT because of some box ticking exercise. This will only lessen their achievements and cheapen their role.

---------- Post added 28-06-2013 at 09:06 ----------

Sorry mel but thats just claptrap.

Its wrong. Full stop!

True but sometimes positively discriminating against certain groups is the most productive method, imagine if employers didn't favour the Polish over others, the UK would collapse.

---------- Post added 29-06-2013 at 00:59 ----------

like it or not England is still a white majority country, but we DO have very large ethnic communities, there is a small trickle of ethnic minorities who join up, its not about discriminating against the indigenous, its about making its ranks look less like a racist institution and more like a force in the 21st centuary, AND being able to police these communities better

Is how the Met looks more important than how it operates?

I hope your journey is a long and painful one.

So do I boyfriday, in fact I hope I never get there at all. But this government and past ones are greasing the wheels so to speak.

Everybody should be treated the same no matter what colour or creed they are. Yet how many forms have you received through the post with the "Where were you born? etc attachment ? What ruddy difference does it make ?(this is what I actually write across any of these forms).

If it's a job for say an interpreter then it should go to the best person for the job regardless of colour. 9 out of 10 times that's going to be someone who was born in the country of the language that the employer is seeking to have interpreted. Fair enough, no problem.

But to hire someone to a job they are not fully qualified for or the best person for it, solely based on their colour etc , because it fills a quoter is wrong.

imagine if employers didn't favour the Polish over others, the UK would collapse.

If that phenomenon exists it's more about favouring a group of people who are best at performing a particular job, not fulfilling pre-defined quotas.

utterly rediculus. just another poorly thought out P.C concept.

Police are there to enforce the laws. If you dont like being nicked by a white copper, then dont break the law in the first place if its that big of a deal.

True but sometimes positively discriminating against certain groups is the most productive method, imagine if employers didn't favour the Polish over others, the UK would collapse.

No. Its never right, never justified and never a good idea. It puts barriers between people and festers bad feeling.

Police are there to enforce the laws. If you dont like being nicked by a white copper, then dont break the law in the first place if its that big of a deal.

I think that rather naive thinking misses the point that a few white coppers have had a predilection for nicking non white people purely for being non white...which resulted in a loss of confidence in the police service generally.

Archived