Should the Met be allowed to discriminate against whites?

Should the Met be allowed to discriminate against whites?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Met be allowed to discriminate against whites?

• Yes
    • No

I think that rather naive thinking misses the point that a few white coppers have had a predilection for nicking non white people purely for being non white...which resulted in a loss of confidence in the police service generally.

theyre there to lock people up. who gives a sh*t what colour they are. they could be purple for all i care.

No. Its never right, never justified and never a good idea. It puts barriers between people and festers bad feeling.

How about discriminating between those who'd work hard and be good at the job, and those who wouldn't?

Bit of a novel idea for this country I suppose.

theyre there to lock people up. who gives a sh*t what colour they are. they could be purple for all i care.

I don't think anyone's bothered about what colour the person is who arrests them, that isn't the issue, it's the fact that ethnic minorities are seriously under-represented in force numbers and since the police are public servants it's important that confidence in the service is maintained.

I don't think anyone's bothered about what colour the person is who arrests them, that isn't the issue, it's the fact that ethnic minorities are seriously under-represented in force numbers and since the police are public servants it's important that confidence in the service is maintained.

I don't know about that, ethnic minorities appear to have a major problem with being arrested by white police officers. If they didn’t then there would be an issue with having a predominantly white police force in a predominantly white country.

I don't know about that, ethnic minorities appear to have a major problem with being arrested by white police officers.

Well I'm an 'ethnic minority' and wouldn't have a problem with being arrested or questioned by a white officer and I don't know personally any non whites who would, in fact the background I come from has an extremely high regard for the police and authority generally.

If they didn’t then there would be an issue with having a predominantly white police force in a predominantly white country.

You're still missing my point, it's about a public service that deals with supervising the behaviour of private citizens reflecting the public it serves. Where one sector of our communities is over represented in that demographic then it's perfectly legitimate (and wise) that reasons are established to determine why, how it can be addressed and whether it would be in the public interest to do so.

Personally I dont agree with positive discrimination for the reasons others have outlined previously, but I think it's perfectly sensible that under-represented groups-non whites, non Christian, gays, women and disabled are encouraged to believe it's a career that might be worthy of their consideration.

After all, we all want the best people in the police service and if some people have the perception it's not for them or they would be alienated then selection isn't taking place from the widest possible pool of applicants.

Well I'm an 'ethnic minority' and wouldn't have a problem with being arrested or questioned by a white officer and I don't know personally any non whites who would, in fact the background I come from has an extremely high regard for the police and authority generally.

Sorry should have said some.

You're still missing my point, it's about a public service that deals with supervising the behaviour of private citizens reflecting the public it serves. Where one sector of our communities is over represented in that demographic then it's perfectly legitimate (and wise) that reasons are established to determine why, how it can be addressed and whether it would be in the public interest to do so.

Personally I dont agree with positive discrimination for the reasons others have outlined previously, but I think it's perfectly sensible that under-represented groups-non whites, non Christian, gays, women and disabled are encouraged to believe it's a career that might be worthy of their consideration.

After all, we all want the best people in the police service and if some people have the perception it's not for them or they would be alienated then selection isn't taking place from the widest possible pool of applicants.

So you are arguing that ethnicity matters, and it clearly only matters if some people don’t like dealing with white police officers.

So you are arguing that ethnicity matters, and it clearly only matters if some people don’t like dealing with white police officers.

The Met has a reputation for racism. That reputation can only be enhanced if the make-up is not reasonably representative.

I'm saying that where any group is significantly under represented it matters because clearly there exist reasons for that under representation..it could be latent discrimination, it could be because the people from those groups can't be arsed, it could be that people from those groups feel excluded from selection. Whatever the reasons the police service are missing a pool of talent that could make fantastic coppers and add something to an already professional service.

I'm saying that where any group is significantly under represented it matters because clearly there exist reasons for that under representation..it could be latent discrimination, it could be because the people from those groups can't be arsed, it could be that people from those groups feel excluded from selection. Whatever the reasons the police service are missing a pool of talent that could make fantastic coppers and add something to an already professional service.

People from all groups apply and join the police, many of the underrepresented groups will likely be over represented in other areas, what matters is that anyone wishing to apply can apply and be given the job if they are the best candidate for the job.

Archived