Should the Met be allowed to discriminate against whites?

Should the Met be allowed to discriminate against whites?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Met be allowed to discriminate against whites?

• Yes
    • No

The Met has a reputation for racism. That reputation can only be enhanced if the make-up is not reasonably representative.

Perpetuated by people that don't like white people.

I think it's incidents like this that damage the reutation of the Met, rather than people who don't like white people

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/may/17/kevin-maxwell-gay-black-police-officer-hounded-out

People from all groups apply and join the police, many of the underrepresented groups will likely be over represented in other areas,
What does that mean?

what matters is that anyone wishing to apply can apply and be given the job if they are the best candidate for the job.

What matters is the police service constantly improves standards.

The police service of today is vastly different and improved version from that of the Gene Hunt days. If they're aware that certain communities have historically seen police work negatively then it's potentially a valuable resource that they could tap into...to ensure the very best candidates get into the jobs.

All of you are playing right into the Governments hands here and none of you can see it!

I'm not sure which side of the fence you're on, but could you lift the scales from our eyes?

---------- Post added 29-06-2013 at 15:04 ----------

one question for all those that are up in arms on this subject

would you feel happy or comfortable if ALL the police in this country, or 95% of em anyway were black, foriegners or muslim????

Hahaha..good point mel (wait for the mealy mouthed "of course I would" replies ;)

What does that mean?

It means that some ethnic groups may be over represented doing other work, the NHS for instance might proportionally have more Black or Pakistani doctors because they don’t aspire to be police officers, it may mean some are over represented in criminality, it might means that they are over represented as waiters or shop keepers. Just because there is a diverse mix of people doesn’t mean the people from each group have the same career aspiration.

What matters is the police service constantly improves standards.

The police service of today is vastly different and improved version from that of the Gene Hunt days. If they're aware that certain communities have historically seen police work negatively then it's potentially a valuable resource that they could tap into...to ensure the very best candidates get into the jobs.

The best candidates are those that aspire to be police officers and meet the recruitment criteria, be they black or white.

---------- Post added 29-06-2013 at 15:17 ----------

one question for all those that are up in arms on this subject

would you feel happy or comfortable if ALL the police in this country, or 95% of em anyway were black, foriegners or muslim????

If I lived in Saudi Arabia it wouldn't bother me that the police force was 100% Muslims.

If I lived in Russia it wouldn’t bother me that the police force was 100% Russian.

If I live in China I wouldn’t be bother if the police force was 100% Chinese.

I live in Britain and it doesn’t bother me that the police force is made up of British people, their colour is irrelevant.

It means that some ethnic groups may be over represented doing other work, the NHS for instance might proportionally have more Black or Pakistani doctors because they don’t aspire to be police officers, it may mean some are over represented in criminality, it might means that they are over represented as waiters or shop keepers. Just because there is a diverse mix of people doesn’t mean the people from each group have the same career aspiration.
But where there's been an erosion in public confidence those features become important. You use the NHS as an example and because of instances of foreign doctors cocking up procedures and some having language problems these issues are being addressed because it's affected performance.

The best candidates are those that aspire to be police officers and meet the recruitment criteria, be they black or white.

Forgive me, but I'm not sure why that statement is at odds with anything I've said. My only addition to that is ensuring the 'best candidates' are discovered in the first place.

Even in my lifetime I recall university education being a bastion pre-dominantly of white middle class males. That wasn't to say non whites, the working class or women weren't able to go but subconsciously the system wasn't set up to encourage or motivate them.

I remember girls at school being encouraged to do domestic science and needlework, whilst boys did maths and sciences almost by default and I don't recall successful applicants through the Oxbridge exam getting A levels in Needlework and Cooking.

Imagine how much sooner man (or woman) might have walked on the moon if the talented needleworkers or coal miners had had the same educational opportunities as their middle class, male counterparts.

That's what I'm talking about, I dont care ultimately what colour the police force is, but the ideal world that others have described where it really shouldn't matter will only come to pass when there are no groups which are reluctant to apply because of historical discrimination and the traditionally testosterone fuelled environment that discouraged their applications-reaching out to those communities is a very rational approach in my opinion.

But where there's been an erosion in public confidence those features become important. You use the NHS as an example and because of instances of foreign doctors cocking up procedures and some having language problems these issues are being addressed because it's affected performance.

Forgive me, but I'm not sure why that statement is at odds with anything I've said. My only addition to that is ensuring the 'best candidates' are discovered in the first place.

Even in my lifetime I recall university education being a bastion pre-dominantly of white middle class males. That wasn't to say non whites, the working class or women weren't able to go but subconsciously the system wasn't set up to encourage or motivate them.

I remember girls at school being encouraged to do domestic science and needlework, whilst boys did maths and sciences almost by default and I don't recall successful applicants through the Oxbridge exam getting A levels in Needlework and Cooking.

Imagine how much sooner man (or woman) might have walked on the moon if the talented needleworkers or coal miners had had the same educational opportunities as their middle class, male counterparts.

That's what I'm talking about, I dont care ultimately what colour the police force is, but the ideal world that others have described where it really shouldn't matter will only come to pass when there are no groups which are reluctant to apply because of historical discrimination and the traditionally testosterone fuelled environment that discouraged their applications-reaching out to those communities is a very rational approach in my opinion.

But that’s not how it is now, everyone no matter what sex or colour is given the same education and opportunity, if some ethic minority groups don't aspire to be police officers then actively encouraging them to join with result in a weaker police force.

---------- Post added 29-06-2013 at 15:17 ----------

If I lived in Saudi Arabia it wouldn't bother me that the police force was 100% Muslims.

If I lived in Russia it wouldn’t bother me that the police force was 100% Russian.

If I live in China I wouldn’t be bother if the police force was 100% Chinese.

I live in Britain and it doesn’t bother me that the police force is made up of British people, their colour is irrelevant.

you fail to see the point i made, and i meant HERE not saudi arabia, china or russia

there should be a more representative sample of police officers from the different communities in todays britain, for some reason, some just dont seem to want to join, now i dont believe in quotas and all that government crap, it should be pro active recruitment that is done in the communities that are lacking

maybe police roadshows and school work to show the police arent all bad?

as for my point you well and truly missed, would you feel comfortable IF ALL BRITISH police were of a different culture / colour to you?

i really doubt you would, now put your feet in somebody elses shoes whos from a black or muslim community, thats how they must feel.

I think it's incidents like this that damage the reutation of the Met, rather than people who don't like white people

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/may/17/kevin-maxwell-gay-black-police-officer-hounded-out

"The tribunal found that Maxwell, who is black and gay, suffered multiple counts of degrading or humiliating treatment. One officer talked of gay men "taking it up the arse", and the tribunal found that one officer described a man in a photograph as being "as gay as a gay in a gay tea shop", which police colleagues greeted with laughter"

if thats the pinnacle of the "humilating" treatment he received.... well he needs to get a grip and lighten up.

Archived