Should the Met be allowed to discriminate against whites?

Should the Met be allowed to discriminate against whites?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Met be allowed to discriminate against whites?

• Yes
    • No

"The tribunal found that Maxwell, who is black and gay, suffered multiple counts of degrading or humiliating treatment. One officer talked of gay men "taking it up the arse", and the tribunal found that one officer described a man in a photograph as being "as gay as a gay in a gay tea shop", which police colleagues greeted with laughter"

if thats the pinnacle of the "humilating" treatment he received.... well he needs to get a grip and lighten up.

thats not the point, should they not be professional, and treat the public with respect? whoever they are

"The tribunal found that Maxwell, who is black and gay, suffered multiple counts of degrading or humiliating treatment. One officer talked of gay men "taking it up the arse", and the tribunal found that one officer described a man in a photograph as being "as gay as a gay in a gay tea shop", which police colleagues greeted with laughter"

if thats the pinnacle of the "humilating" treatment he received.... well he needs to get a grip and lighten up.

But if he's the only one being singled out for that treatment and it was bring sustained over a number of years it is completely unacceptable. How would you feel if that happened to you?

What Maxwell experienced was bullying by members of an organisation who 20years after being damned as institutionally racist, couldn't give a stuff about what they do because they know there's useful idiots that will back them no matter what

But that’s not how it is now, everyone no matter what sex or colour is given the same education and opportunity,
LOL, you missed my point, it happens now because the education system had to positively change to effect a change!

if some ethic minority groups don't aspire to be police officers then actively encouraging them to join with result in a weaker police force.

I think you're slightly misunderstanding what Im saying. I'm not suggesting ethnic minorities should be encouraged to join simply to get bums on seats, Im saying they should be encouraged to apply to see if their bums will fit the seat and possibly turbo charge it.

I didn't mention previously that at age 18 whilst awaiting my A level results I had a preliminary interview for the police, which had been arranged by the community bobby in Broomhall. It certainly wasn't my first choice of career but during the course of the interview I became increasingly interested.

The dealbreaker for me was when the interviewer (an inspector) said "a black boy like you will have no problem getting through the formal interview". That was an instant turn off from my point of view as it seemed my skin colour was more important than any other qualities I might have had and that's why I'm not a supporter of quotas or relaxing entry requirements for some groups in order to achieve them.

you fail to see the point i made, and i meant HERE not saudi arabia, china or russia

there should be a more representative sample of police officers from the different communities in todays britain, for some reason, some just dont seem to want to join, now i dont believe in quotas and all that government crap, it should be pro active recruitment that is done in the communities that are lacking

maybe police roadshows and school work to show the police arent all bad?

as for my point you well and truly missed, would you feel comfortable IF ALL BRITISH police were of a different culture / colour to you?

i really doubt you would, now put your feet in somebody elses shoes whos from a black or muslim community, thats how they must feel.

If would adapt to the culture I was born into to and stop whinging about being in the minority, If I had been born in Jamaica and lived in Jamaica my culture would be Jamaican despite me being white.

Yea they should, but that article doesn't mention the public. It sounds more like banter between work colleagues.

Doesn't sound like light hearted banter to me, it sounds like bullying. And the fact that Maxwell is now on medication rather prooves the point that there was nothing light hearted about it.

If would adapt to the culture I was born into to and stop whinging about being in the minority, If I had been born in Jamaica and lived in Jamaica my culture would be Jamaican despite me being white.

Have you ever visited Jamaica and seen how white Jamaicans live? They're not all down the beach jerking chicken, drinking Lilt and smoking ganja!

But if he's the only one being singled out for that treatment and it was bring sustained over a number of years it is completely unacceptable. How would you feel if that happened to you?

quite honestly wouldnt care, infact Id somewhat expect it.

Doesn't sound like light hearted banter to me, it sounds like bullying. And the fact that Maxwell is now on medication rather prooves the point that there was nothing light hearted about it.

stating that somebody takes it up the arse? It sounds exactly like light hearted banter to me.

he'll be some highly strung "woe is me i'am black and gay and the whole world hates me" idiot who quite frankly more than likely just needs to man up, lighten up, and get on with it.

LOL, you missed my point, it happens now because the education system had to positively change to effect a change!

I think you're slightly misunderstanding what Im saying. I'm not suggesting ethnic minorities should be encouraged to join simply to get bums on seats, Im saying they should be encouraged to apply to see if their bums will fit the seat and possibly turbo charge it.

I didn't mention previously that at age 18 whilst awaiting my A level results I had a preliminary interview for the police, which had been arranged by the community bobby in Broomhall. It certainly wasn't my first choice of career but during the course of the interview I became increasingly interested.

The dealbreaker for me was when the interviewer (an inspector) said "a black boy like you will have no problem getting through the formal interview". That was an instant turn off from my point of view as it seemed my skin colour was more important than any other qualities I might have had and that's why I'm not a supporter of quotas or relaxing entry requirements for some groups in order to achieve them.

I don't want to be a chef, it’s never interested me, if you encouraged me to apply to be a chef, I know I would make a poor chef, because it is something I have never aspired to be, it just doesn’t interest me. Now if we encouraged people to apply for jobs they don’t really want to do, they will likely do the job badly, and if it is their dream to be a police officer there is nothing standing in their way. Clearly it isn’t the dream of many in the ethnic minority groups to become police officers or they would be applying.

Archived