Orange taking money out bank

Hi all

just a warning I checked my bank on Wednesday and discovered that5 orange had taken 25 out my bank account without my permission and I do not have a direct debit set up.

When I challenged this yesterday they tried claiming that a bill back in November for 66.96 had not been paid even though I had paid it so they took the 25 for that.

Last night I check my bank and they have bow taken 6696 from a different account of mine.

they need to get ready for me at 8am when they open!!!

I have proof that the payment was made a text message from them and a authorisation code so be careful everyone and check!!!!!

Just a heads up here....any direct debit you have had in the past which is no longer used is still active on your account and can be used by the company to take funds from your account.

When any direct debit payment period has ended, always cancel it with your bank and receive written confirmation. If not the company can take money from your account at any time in the future.

But there's another side to that. If a company takes a Direct Debit from your account and it should not have done so, go to the Bank and ask the Manager to intervene.

I cancelled an account with an ISP in the UK some years ago. They acknowledged the cancellation, stopped taking the money - for a month - and then re-started.

I went into the Bank a few months later (the next time I was in the area) and told the Manager what had happened.

She recovered the improper deductions, then levied 'Bank Charges' against the ISP.

The charges she stuck them with were considerably more than they had taken from me. :hihi:

"Let's see how they like that!" she said. " If they try it again, I will cancel their Direct Debit privileges and they can find another way of receiving payments from their customers."

Its a joke. I have been into the bank and rung orange several times. Orange are claiming once you activate a payment they can take it at any time. Does anyone know if there is a time scale for this

also is it classed as fraud if they have taken it without informing me or had my consent

That's why you need to cancel with the bank too, if you just cancel with the company you are paying your DD remains open with the bank. When the bank cancels the DD agreement, no more money can be requested by the company.

Its a joke. I have been into the bank and rung orange several times. Orange are claiming once you activate a payment they can take it at any time. Does anyone know if there is a time scale for this

also is it classed as fraud if they have taken it without informing me or had my consent

you have a direct debit agreement with them, so you have given the your consent. Orange cannot take money from accounts that do not have a direct debit set-up on.

if you have an unpaid bill, they can take the money as it was due a long time ago. The period is something like 6 months.

If you have proof you paid the bill, which you will as you have the DD already, you just need to call their customer service department and go through it with them. If you have paid they should refund you the money. If you haven't paid, you are stuffed.

I suggest, if you do not have any services with orange, you cancel any direct debit agreements you have with them and the same goes for any other company.

But there's another side to that. If a company takes a Direct Debit from your account and it should not have done so, go to the Bank and ask the Manager to intervene.

I cancelled an account with an ISP in the UK some years ago. They acknowledged the cancellation, stopped taking the money - for a month - and then re-started.

I went into the Bank a few months later (the next time I was in the area) and told the Manager what had happened.

She recovered the improper deductions, then levied 'Bank Charges' against the ISP.

The charges she stuck them with were considerably more than they had taken from me. :hihi:

"Let's see how they like that!" she said. " If they try it again, I will cancel their Direct Debit privileges and they can find another way of receiving payments from their customers."

I wish my bank was like that :hihi:

My phone has a switch so that you can turn it off at night.

There's always one :roll:

Some people require their phone to be on 24/7. Like me for instance. I'm listed as an emergency contact for my Nan's care alarm.

Archived