Orange taking money out bank

I do not have a direct debit set up with them. I simply get the bill and ring up and pay so I am using it as if I was buying something on my card in a shop.

The money they are also trying to say its from is November. So that is 7 months ago.

also I have had a bill each month since then and this has not shown as a outstanding figure

If you paid on a credit card you will be protected by the credit card company. A direct debit is the best way to pay and still leaves you in total control. As other people have already said the DD guarantee allows you to re-claim any money paid out by DD.

Good Luck in getting it sorted :-)

Maybe I am missing the point but isnt a direct debit something you agree too for them to take money out your account each month? This is not what I have done

I have simply made a card payment.

They have took 2 separate amounts out of two different accounts. Without my permission

---------- Post added 28-06-2013 at 16:44 ----------

Maybe I am missing the point but isnt a direct debit something you agree too for them to take money out your account each month? This is not what I have done

I have simply made a card payment.

They have took 2 separate amounts out of two different accounts. Without my permission

---------- Post added 30-06-2013 at 06:01 ----------

Apparently everyone who is with orange and paid their bill last November. Orange actually didn't receive the payment so they are now taking it out everyone bank

If I understand this correctly, You have made a payment to Orange in the past using a bank Debit Card?

Now Orange is claiming another payment using that same Debit Card details?

The thing that you now have to check is whether anything like a continuous payment agreement is in place.

If not, simply tell your card issuer that the withdrawal by Orange was never authorised and they must credit your account with the necessary funds .... in writing!

---------- Post added 30-06-2013 at 21:13 ----------

As the payments were directly debited, duplicate debiting is a breach of the Bank of England rules.

Tell your bank as well as Orange.

They weren't.

You can just ring up the bank and tell them all this and they will claim the monies back from the company if it was taken in error, as with payments taken via dd you can tell the bank to do a direct debit indemnity and they will credit the money back to you if it was taken in error. But bear in mind usually when you sign a credit agreement which you will do for a contract phone they usually insist on paying via direct debit as part of the agreement so just have a check through your paperwork so you know everything before calling them hope you sort it.

If I understand this correctly, You have made a payment to Orange in the past using a bank Debit Card?

Now Orange is claiming another payment using that same Debit Card details?

The thing that you now have to check is whether anything like a continuous payment agreement is in place.

If not, simply tell your card issuer that the withdrawal by Orange was never authorised and they must credit your account with the necessary funds .... in writing!

---------- Post added 30-06-2013 at 21:13 ----------

They weren't.

Well, CPA debiting is in practice no different from DD. Either way, BoE rules preclude unlawful or unauthorised collection of funds.

So I am in the right in believing they can not do this and must refund me

I would imagine so, the other week I noticed a DD for an odd amount so asked the Halifax and they couldn't find who it was too apart from to the Halifax. It turned out when I changed my insurance they were taking the new policy payment and had not cancelled the old debit. Partly my fault as I had not checked my account properly but also Halifax should have cancelled it when they set up the new policy.

Hi,

I have been in a battle with Orange for a week now. I had my card registered with them so I can top up my PAYG phone easily. I topped up my phone on 23rd June and the charge appeared on my bank statement next morning. But on 26th June another charge of £10 was debited from my bank account by Orange. I called them up straight away and the customer service rep tried to convince me that Orange hasn't taken anything from my account. Asked me to give them 48 hours to investigate.

Have not heard back from them so called again 2 days later. Again i was told they have not taken anything from my account and have no record of it what-so-ever and suggested I take a copy of my bank statement to the closest Orange shop. On Saturday I popped into my bank and asked them to confirm whether the charge that appeared on my bank statement on 26th is in fact a charge from Orange. The woman at the bank called up some inter-bank helpline where she was told that the 2nd £10 that was debited from my account was for a top up in November 2012 and Orange only took it now, 8 months later.

I called up Orange again and when I told them what I learnt in the bank miraculously the customer service rep from Orange could see all sort of details on my account showing that yes, in November Orange had some issues with the bank, it was not just me, it was hundreds of thousands of PAYG customers who topped up their phone but Orange did not take the money. Then I got cut off, called back again, other representative saying completely different things. Between 26th June and today I spoke to approx. 9 different customer service rep incl. 2 supervisors (one of them was very rude and simply put the phone down on me) and we covered pretty much half of the months from November to June when I supposed to receive a letter and a text message regards the charge. I was also told that they have taken the charge in May which means they took it twice and I did not even realise asI am only spotted the one last week.

I am refused to be put through to a manager and when I called up at 8:52pm the phone said that the office is now closed however the opening times are 8.00am to 10pm. A few minutes before that I called up and asked them to remove my card details from the system as I am worried that they keep using my account details without my permission. First I was told the PAYG department is closed but again, the opening times are till 10pm. When i was questioning how come that the opening time is till 10pm and the office is closed before 9.00pm i was told it is because of technical issue.

I want to make an official complaint but I can't even get to stage 2 in the complaint procedure as when i ask to be put through to the Customer Service Manager I am refused.

Anyone any suggestion?

Thanks

Archived