Mixer tap help??

I need a bit of advice please... My kitchen mixer tap has been dripping for ages now, I spoke to a plumber about this who said it's probably a build up of crap in the tap and that it would be cheaper to replace the tap than to take it apart and de-gunk it.

What I need to know if whether I can just get any type of new mixer tap or is it likely to be specific to the sink unit ... i'm not really sure what i'm on about but know how to buy a tap from B&Q :hihi: I was kinda thinking I might be able to fit it myself if I switch the water supply off at the stop tap .... is this a wise idea?!?

Take the old tap off first. Then you can ensure the replacement has the same fittings and that you can access it properly. It would be an idea to put in a flexible hose and a valve at the same time as the new tap. They are less than a tenner each. Then you can turn off the supply just to that tap should you need to.

Depends whether it's a deck (two hole) mixer or a monobloc (one hole) mixer. On the monoblocs there can be copper tails or flexible tails, and two sizes of these. Perhaps best to get a photo of the underside connections first then go from there. Also can be tricky to undo monoblocs due to the C washer bolt which is usually 12mm and might require a box spanner to undo.

If I am correct, turning the stop **** off won't stop water coming out of the hot tap if you have an immersion heater.

Good point, especially if there's no service valve on the hot tap. Even dismantling the tap head can be a pain if the threads are tight. I've had no end of trouble with older taps.

Archived