Christmas Illuminations

Vanbast

I perhaps have got my rose tinted spectacles on and seeing it from a childs point of view but the Christmas illuminations did seem better in the 60's/ 70's.

Can anybody remember the stuff they used to do in the Peace Gardens?

The highlights I can remember were some kind of Santa's Grotto train you could ride on threading its way through a forest of pine trees and Illuminated Dancing Water Fountains that moved in time to music. Great stuff!

I never knew they transplanted disneyland to the peace gardens...? (chuckle)

I don't remember that, at all, I'm afraid.

I remember the grotto at moorfoot, and the various xmas rides at the co-op, and Pauldens, Walshes, Redgates and Robert brothers..

PT

Originally posted by Vanbast

Can anybody remember the stuff they used to do in the Peace Gardens?

The highlights I can remember were some kind of Santa's Grotto train you could ride on threading its way through a forest of pine trees and Illuminated Dancing Water Fountains that moved in time to music. Great stuff!

I do remember that one year, art students from either Granville College or Psalter Lane were involved in designing city centre Christmas stuff, and it stands out in my memory as the best year for Chrissie illuminations in Sheffield. There was indeed a lot of stuff in the Peace Gardens including a large grotto (don't remember the train ride though...) and dancing water fountains.

I think generally, Sheffield City Council did seem to have a much higher budget for illuminations in the early to mid seventies than they do now.

Originally posted by Damon

I do remember that one year, art students from either Granville College or Psalter Lane were involved in designing city centre Christmas stuff, and it stands out in my memory as the best year for Chrissie illuminations in Sheffield. There was indeed a lot of stuff in the Peace Gardens including a large grotto (don't remember the train ride though...) and dancing water fountains.

I think generally, Sheffield City Council did seem to have a much higher budget for illuminations in the early to mid seventies than they do now.

That's because if the council spend any money not directly aimed at improving the life of the sheffield motorist or homeowner, then they get it in the neck from the SF resident killjoys

• 2 weeks later...

I remember very well the efforts in particular of Redgates and the Co-op even when taking my own children. Today you can usually see Santa as you're paying - in days gone by Santa was at the end of some wonderful little walk or ride - I remember riding on swans at the Co-op one time. Redgates used to have a woodland walk theme with moving models of happy, smiling animals waving you on your way.

I also used to enjoy the window displays in the shops - what creative ideas and willing staff can do to brighten up the shopper's day!

Originally posted by DAVEGARY

I remember as a child in the sixties a santas forest at the bottom of the moor around about where the manpower building is. I think it was on a bombsite from ww2.Can anyone remember this

I remember it very well. my mother used to take me and my sister when we were kids.

Then, later (in early 80's) there was an open market on the same site, and it's now a car park.

the santa's grotto thing, if my memory serves me correctly, was just a smidge further over from the manpower, heading back towards the dual carriageway.

PT

Originally posted by tiffy

I remember very well the efforts in particular of Redgates and the Co-op even when taking my own children. Today you can usually see Santa as you're paying - in days gone by Santa was at the end of some wonderful little walk or ride - I remember riding on swans at the Co-op one time. Redgates used to have a woodland walk theme with moving models of happy, smiling animals waving you on your way.

I also used to enjoy the window displays in the shops - what creative ideas and willing staff can do to brighten up the shopper's day!

The Co-op was fab! Didn't they have a rolling scenery background that made you think that you really were moving on the swans? Well... at least it felt like it when I was 6 :)

The garden shed with a spotty teenager in a red anorak in Orchard Square doesn't really seem the same :( No wonder children don't believe any more.

By the way... please can we call him Father Christmas? I never heard about Santa until we got American telly.

I remember the Peace Garden thingy. Like being in another world.

It may be just me dwelling on childhood memories, but were the Santas more convincing then? All this technology around and dramatic effects and what do we end up with now? Some middle-aged wino in a dandruff encrusted red(ish) overcoat, stinking of either booze or Brut, trainers on feet and in full display of the entire shop floor thereby depriving the kids of any mystery. Added to this the present climate has made getting up close and personal with him (sitting on his knee) impossible.

Maybe I'm just getting old and cynical.

YES, THAT'S IT.

Archived