Christmas Illuminations

Vanbast

There was a rumour that Sheffield had got hold of some of Blackpool's cast-off illuminations in the 80's.And these were brilliant.

Judging by the pathetic display last Christmas a buying trip over to the Golden Mile might be a wise investment.

Perhaps a twinning arrangement would do the trick.

• 9 months later...
Originally posted by Lickszz

Remember the big Xmas tree that used to be located at the top of Fargate?

What? They dont put that bloody tree up anymore? Revolt by putting Daz in the Fountain..or maybe thats been removed now has it? Sorry I havnt been back to sheff for 3 years!

The Grotto in the Co-Op on town is still there every year. I take my kids and we love it!! It still has the ride with the moving scenery too lol!! It tells you a little story as you 'ride' along, then you get off and walk through to see Santa.

My son made him laugh last year when, after telling him what he wanted, he announced that he should give his sister a lump of coal 'cos she is always naughty!!

In my opinion, it's the best grotto there is!

The only thing ive seen in co-op is the christmas shop on 3rd floor.

mind you perhaps i dont notice anymore as my youngest is eleven now.

what floor is the grotto on.

Does anyone remember the yearly illuminations in chapeltown park.

They use to have all people from the nursery rhymes all lit up and doing the actions coresponding to each rhyme. there was rides there also.

I remember going there every year as a child, then going in the carousel (pub) kids telly room. where i made loads of friends while we stuffed our faces on the little cheese and onion packs.

Remember them, you got a little biscuit and a couple of onions

and a portion of cheese spread.

what was the carousel pub called in 60s- cant remember.

also we had castle and tudor crisps,and funny shaped bottles of orange very narrow necks with wide bottoms.

Oh and of course the original smiths crisps with the dark blue salt bag in them. and nibbits.

The reason why the illuminations in the 1960s were far superior to the current display is that they didn't cost the Council a penny!

The whole cost was underwritten by Sir Stuart Goodwin, President of the Neepsend Steel & Tool Corporation. In the first year, 1961 if memory serves, the cost was about £30,000, roughly £420,000 in today's money. His arguement being that such an attraction would bring increased trade to the city at Xmas, and how right he was. He continued to fund the illuminations each year until his death in the late 60s.

After that the quality of the lights quickly went into decline, particulary as the big stores, the principal benefactors, would only give, reluctantly, a token amount towards the cost.

Sadly, there are no such benefactors around these days.

I take it that this is the chap who gave sHeffield the Goodwin fountain at the top of Fargate. I always remember the illuminations being awesome in the late 60's.

I think we musn't forget while we are all shopping in the warmth of Meadowhall, that it took much wealth away from the city centre and maybe a roof over high street, Fargate and the Moor, may have been a better idea and kept the city centre alive and vibrant.

Too Late now!

Originally posted by robian

The reason why the illuminations in the 1960s were far superior to the current display is that they didn't cost the Council a penny!

The whole cost was underwritten by Sir Stuart Goodwin, President of the Neepsend Steel & Tool Corporation. In the first year, 1961 if memory serves, the cost was about £30,000, roughly £420,000 in today's money. His arguement being that such an attraction would bring increased trade to the city at Xmas, and how right he was. He continued to fund the illuminations each year until his death in the late 60s.

After that the quality of the lights quickly went into decline, particulary as the big stores, the principal benefactors, would only give, reluctantly, a token amount towards the cost.

Sadly, there are no such benefactors around these days.

Goodwin fountain was removed by the council because they said they couldn't afford the maintenance costs. What costs - a medium sized water pump, some light bulbs and cleaning out the Fairy Liquid suds every Rad Day - laughed at that every year!

When this was announced in the Star in the very same issue was a new design for the Peace Gardens with a giant fountain etc which we now see. The maintenance cost for the new fountain is I believe over £100,000 a year including security staff which apparently are needed because of the design.

How come we couldn't afford the Goodwin and a few light bulbs yet we can afford the current fountain. Ironic the two items were in the same Star issue.

Sorry, back to thread - town centre decorations are a bit feeble but for once I feel for the council staff who organise them. They're wrong either way - too feeble attempt or spending too much money.

Archived