Christmas Illuminations

Vanbast

• 3 weeks later...
I remember as a child in the sixties a santas forest at the bottom of the moor around about where the manpower building is. I think it was on a bombsite from ww2.Can anyone remember this

Santa's Forest ( Grotto ) you mention wasn't at the bottom of the Moor but where Dixons

use to be on the Moor opposit the old Woolworth's, when Woolworth's use to have the low level glass counters and send money taken over the counter upstairs by metal tubes.

This was in the early 1960's

• 2 weeks later...
This year's lights are miserable again.

They honestly shouldn't bother unless they can come up with something better...

One could apply the above statement to this year's Oxford and Regent Street lights in London. I never cease to be disappointed, perhaps I expect too much.

I remember the first few years of Sheffield lights as being magical.

IMO always a better show than the capital's efforts. :thumbsup:

I remember the very first year of Sheffield illuminations, think it was 1960/61. A school friend and I walked from the bottom of The Moor to look at them and a photographer from

The star newspaper took our photo for The Star and asked what we thought about the illuminations.My friend was quoted in the newspaper as saying "We think they're smashing"!

I well remember Santa's Grotto at the bottom of The Moor -it seemed enormous and magical at the time.

Santa's Grotto - don't why people on here keep saying it was at the bottom of the Moor, it was situated between where ' The Works ' bookshop and ' Dixons ' used to be in the 60's

oposite the ' Old Woolworth's ' when the shop assistants use to have to send the money taken over the counter upstairs by air tubes - money was put in brass tubes.

Santa's Grotto - don't why people on here keep saying it was at the bottom of the Moor, it was situated between where ' The Works ' bookshop and ' Dixons ' used to be in the 60's

oposite the ' Old Woolworth's ' when the shop assistants use to have to send the money taken over the counter upstairs by air tubes - money was put in brass tubes.

I thought it was further down on the left hand side, near to where the new market is. I must have been 4 years old though so that makes it 40 years ago. Yikes!!

The outdoor grotto (with real trees) I remember was between Young Street & Thomas Street on the L/H side heading up the Moor, more or less opposite the top of Hereford Street.

It was sited on waste land that was created after the 1940 blitz, and was next to the row of temporary shops that were built after the war.

Right hand side in this picturesheffield photo

i guess that they would be even more expensive now given that they have to be up for a longer period to celebrate other religious festivals?

leicester have there up from october right through to Jan.

Did u read the speech(facebook) by the Oz P.M finaly someone with BALLS and it had to be a women:D:D:love:

Archived