Don't want to waste A+E time.. Stress Fracture.. Help?

[quote=The Twirler

Hi All

I thought I'd ask on here for help. I am pretty sure I have a stress fracture on my foot.. Metatarsal head to be exact. I don't think it is an acute fracture because I haven't had any nasty impacts and it has flared up from playing football.

It is extremely painful, when I forget and then stand up it is a sharp pain that makes me really wince.[/B] It isn't bruised and doesn't really hurt when there isn't pressure on it apart from a dull ache after walking or playing football.

I've looked online and they suggest an X-ray may be needed, but with A+E pressures being like they are, is it worth me going? I don't want to waste anyones time, but I'm not sure my GP can help either.

Anyone else ever had a stress fracture?]

Fair enough, I'll get myself off up there then in the next few days. Cheers lads.

Can't be that bad if you can wait a few days then can it.

Ah, SF at its finest.

Daid: don't worry pal, I'm at A&E now so you won't have to wait long before you do everyone a favour..

Rascal: sorry that I did not give a specific time. I hope you slept OK in spite of this. I was initially worried that going while I was supposed to be working wouldn't be conducive to my long term employment but I am here now within 24 hours of putting the question up, so I hope that is indeed quick enough to give assurances about the severity of pain for you.

Xx

---------- Post added 30-06-2013 at 10:51 ----------

Just home.

X-Ray showed no break thankfully, but diagnosed with Tendonitis.

Cheers to all who encouraged me to go, probably wouldn't have otherwise..

I thought it'd turn out to be tendonitis, have they given you any anti-inflammatories? I found these absolutely invaluable when I had it.

Try and keep your feet up as much as possible.... it's hard, I was lucky to have my other half to drive me about and wait on me! It takes a long time to heal properly, good luck :)

Can I make a suggestion? Go to the minor injuries unit at the Hallamshire instead, where you will wait a lot shorter time to be seen and will not feel like you're taking up the precious resources of a full A&E department.

Wherever you go you are likely to end up with having an x-ray so you may as well just bite the bullet and get it done so you know for sure whether you do have a fracture, as the treatment for fracture and soft tissue injury may differ.

In the mean time, remember RICE. Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation are the treatments for pretty much any injury that may involve soft tissue damage (including tendons).

For what it's worth, I find fractured bones, separated growth plates, sprains and all sorts of other injuries can be pretty much painless when they aren't weight bearing, so that's not really a diagnostic factor.

I visited minor injuries today for the same kind of thing.

Injured my ankle a few weeks ago swelled & bruised but I could still walk.

Now it is still swollen and a permanent dull ache and I have pins and needles in my toes.

Did not even get past reception! !!

There was no one in the place except a nurse and receptionist.

Explained my problem and the nurse stated " what can we

do about it? You need to go to your doctor" she didn't even look at it???

If the minor injuries unit suspect a fracture, they'll send him over to Northern General anyway, two long waits for the price of one!

If it's below the elbow or below the knee they'll take care of it at the Walk-In Centre. The sheer relief on my face when they told me it was a radial head fracture (i.e not a trip to NGH) was so obvious it made the medic laugh.

If it's below the elbow or below the knee they'll take care of it at the Walk-In Centre. The sheer relief on my face when they told me it was a radial head fracture (i.e not a trip to NGH) was so obvious it made the medic laugh.

Those fools! Don't they know that the cranium is NOT below the knee or elbow?

Ah, SF at its finest.

Daid: don't worry pal, I'm at A&E now so you won't have to wait long before you do everyone a favour..

Rascal: sorry that I did not give a specific time. I hope you slept OK in spite of this. I was initially worried that going while I was supposed to be working wouldn't be conducive to my long term employment but I am here now within 24 hours of putting the question up, so I hope that is indeed quick enough to give assurances about the severity of pain for you.

Xx

---------- Post added 30-06-2013 at 10:51 ----------

Just home.

X-Ray showed no break thankfully, but diagnosed with Tendonitis.

Cheers to all who encouraged me to go, probably wouldn't have otherwise..

Glad you got looked at and on the mend :thumbsup:

Archived