Water constantly running into toilet bowl.

If the float is at the side of the tower on a short arm then some type of knurled ring should be visible at the end of the arm; if this is unscrewed (can be tight) then the washer (diaphram) will be seated inside. there are 2 or 3 types, B&Q, Wickes etc can have them or Boler's plumbers at Malin Bridge.

If the float is concentric around the tower then its one of those American floats, the name escapes me just now.

If the float is at the side of the tower on a short arm then some type of knurled ring should be visible at the end of the arm; if this is unscrewed (can be tight) then the washer (diaphram) will be seated inside. there are 2 or 3 types, B&Q, Wickes etc can have them or Boler's plumbers at Malin Bridge.

If the float is concentric around the tower then its one of those American floats, the name escapes me just now.

Here's a pic.

If the fault is the inlet valve, wouldn`t that just affect the filling (over filling) of the cistern)? I would be guessing new toilet syphon to remedy. Not expensive (got one in this week) less than £5 from Screwfix for lever type flush. It is the time doing the job that is the issue.

It would be, I haven't seen that one before!

See if you can see whether the top unscrews or detaches. If you're lucky enough to have a name on it, then google it for info.

It doesn't look like it can be dismantled in any way.

Ah well, guess a call to Kier and a 3 week wait are in order. :D

If water is constantly running into toilet bowl it is usually one of two things.

1. The toilet syphon needs replacing

2. Some toilets don't have an external over-flow so if the water valve is leaking and the cistern just keeps filling then any excess water goes down to the toilet pan

From the cistern.

I'm a pretty practical guy but i can't seem to find a remedy. Does it need a whole new unit ?

We rent btw so don't need quotes.

Cheers.

If you have the rubber flapper valve type the flapper could not be closing completely allowing water to leak through.

That's so simplly obvious however I assume that your problem is more technical

Looks the same as mine - I think that top bit should twist off and you will be able to get to the diaphragm, which might just need some dirt removing from it, or it's worn. Similar procedure to

Though not quite the same design.

Archived