Old weather stations report higher temperatures.

A New paper finds that aging weather stations record much higher daytime temperatures, 1.63°C higher than new stations

Source : http://wattsupwiththat.com/2013/06/29/aging-weather-stations-contribute-to-high-temperature-records/

Could this be a contributing factor in all the global warming talk?

what's the rise they have said in the last 5 years for global warming, wasn't it about 1.5°? (I really can't remember) - considering these report 1.63° higher, doesn't that mean they are at least contributing to the panic?

Always a possibility, although it might be possible to do some fancy statistics to take into account for the variability of instrument accuracy.

Personally I don't buy it tho, with the diversity of instruments used to measure the temperature over time I don't think it's 'good science' to compare temperatures now with 50 years ago and say the world is a degree warmer now.

The UK is a tiny part of the world but it is a part and AFAIK, UK weather is controlled, to a large extent, by the gulfstream - which is hardly a trifling heat source.

If you compare the temperatures in the UK today with the (probable) temperatures when the Romans were growing grapes along Hadrian's wall, how much warmer is the UK overall?

Can you grow grapes for wine-making outside along Hadrian's wall today?

AFAIR a few years ago (during all that fuss about 'hacked' e-mails from UEA) some of the scientists there admitted that certain observed temperatures had been adjusted subsequently.

(Something about 'making the facts fit the theories', I think.)

A New paper finds that aging weather stations record much higher daytime temperatures, 1.63°C higher than new stations

Source : http://wattsupwiththat.com/2013/06/29/aging-weather-stations-contribute-to-high-temperature-records/

Could this be a contributing factor in all the global warming talk?

what's the rise they have said in the last 5 years for global warming, wasn't it about 1.5°? (I really can't remember) - considering these report 1.63° higher, doesn't that mean they are at least contributing to the panic?

I would think its more likely the reason that temperature rise appears to have stagnated.

1980. Weather stations around the globe record a temperature rise each year.

1990. Some new weather station come on line but read temperature more accurately and on average slightly lower than the less accurate older stations.

2000. Even more new weather station come on line.

And because the newer stations are more accurate and on average read a lower temperature than the older stations global temperature appears to have stagnated.

If I have an inaccurate thermometer that reads 2° high and each year it records an higher temperature. Then replace it with a new more accurate thermometer that doesn't read high, the temperature will appear to have fallen when in fact it is still rising.

The UK is a tiny part of the world but it is a part and AFAIK, UK weather is controlled, to a large extent, by the gulfstream - which is hardly a trifling heat source.

If you compare the temperatures in the UK today with the (probable) temperatures when the Romans were growing grapes along Hadrian's wall, how much warmer is the UK overall?

There are commercial vinevards in North Yorkshire so probably yes you can. There is no need to as we have container ships, something that the Romans didn't have so they probably grew grapes instead.

---------- Post added 30-06-2013 at 14:27 ----------

If I have an inaccurate thermometer that reads 2° high and each year it records an higher temperature. Then replace it with a new more accurate thermometer that doesn't read high, the temperature will appear to have fallen when in fact it is still rising.

It's not an inaccurate thermometer though - it's a problem with weather station maintenance.

correct. it isn't a heat source.

well, it's not quite cumbria, but i have some vines that produce wine grapes every other year, and they're doing very well in my garden.

(Something about 'making the facts fit the theories', I think.)

the 'science' behind global warming, in a nutshell.

Archived