Milestone - Is it failing?

Ms-Shapes

The Milestone on Green Lane has been a favourite restaurant for the past few years - a place where we have gone for 'Special Occassions' and when we've just fancied a treat. We've always been very satisfied with the food and service.

Today, we just decided to treat ourselves to lunch, and left feeling very disappointed.

I ordered a non alcoholic Mojita from the drinks menu, only later to be told there was no mint, so chose another drink.

We opted for the Main course and dessert.

We both ordered the chicken. When I cut into my chicken, it was raw and bleeding. My partners chicken was smaller than mine and OK.

I asked the waiter if my chicken could be cooked a bit longer- it was taken away and returned by a waitress after about 15 minutes. No apologies, but OK, I had my main course.

We then ordered dessert.

After waiting 30 minutes, I called over one of the staff and explained that we had been waiting 30 minutes for dessert, he apologised and said he'd see what was happening and wouldn't charge us for dessert.

Our desserts arrived, and we ate them.

In the mean time we noticed that at a near by table, a couple had been waiting for their main course after waiting a while.

When it arrived, my partner noticed that his main dish was also sent back to the kitchen.

I'm hoping that today was just a once off bad day as although it has soured our day out somewhat, I'd like to think that this is a place that we enjoy eating and recommending to others.

Anyone had recent experiences here?

Yes... all very good experiences. I took my mum for lunch on monday and I have been about half a dozen times prior to that for both lunch and dinner.

The service we have received has always been fantastic. The food has always been cooked to perfection too. I would be quite annoyed to receive the service you have done. If I was you, I would email them and im sure they would at least apologise and hopefully offer you another meal to prove they dont make a habit of giving out a bad meal.

I wouldnt let your experience put you off returning as I havent had one bad thing to report on their service or dishes that i have tried.

Went recently on a Saturday lunchtime for my 30th birthday and can only say it was disappointing. We sent an email to book a table a week before and didn't receive a reply, we rang on the day to check if they had received our booking which they had but if we hadn't rang we wouldn't have know!

We looked at the menu on line before going and there was an offer for 2 courses from the Saturday lunch menu for a certain price when we got there the menu was the same but the offer wasn't on. It was no big deal but surely a business should keep its website updated.

I ordered the black pudding fritter which was served with sausage and pickled vegetables. The dish that came was a small, burnt, dry black pudding fritter and more pickled vegetables than you could ever eat accompanied by 2 measly bits of sausage. If this had been the best sausage ever then it would have been ok but it was bog standard. My girlfriend had a pea soup which was nice but it was soup at the end of the day.

For a main I had a burger which was hit and miss, the brioche bun was good as was the burger sauce but oh my god more pickled vegetables! The burger itself was dry and pretty tasteless I've had way better burgers in Sheffield form the cheap and cheerful to the gourmet, when paying £10 for a burger you want something to make it stand out! It was supposed to be served with hand cut chips, which I imagined would be crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside, as many places in Sheffield manage to do very well. what was served was potato wedges, big thick chunks of potato that were pretty tasteless and quite hard. My girlfriend had a mushroom risotto which was good.

The bill came and I paid and we left it wasn't until we got home that i realised we had been overcharged I know this was my fault for not checking but it just seemed indicative of the overall quality of the place and the experience.

I have previously eaten at The Milestone both for lunch and dinner pre and post Gordon Ramsay and this was by far the worst.

Not been for a long time so cannot comment on current state of play.

But I felt they lost their way post Ramsey...

Before him , the upstairs was quite an inventive fine dining place whilst you could get cheaper meals downstairs with a decent drink. Place was often rammed full.

After he performed his "magic" they lost the upmarket stuff and the whole place went kind of gastro pubbish...not expensive nor cheap enough...bit middle of the road and no longer enough of a draw to get me down that part of the city.

Had one or two mediocre experiences and not been back since...

we went last year, to the milestone and to the wig and pen, have to say we were a little disappointed on both occasions.

The Milestone - nice dining room, staff friendly, we both had a black pudding starter and fillet steak main, the steak was cooked rare (no option but thats ok). they both came, cold. In my book there's a difference between blue/rare and plain old cold. Overall ok, but it was the most expensive meal we've eaten in sheffield (£100 for 2 people).

Wig and Pen - took the parents for a breakfast, had a groupon voucher for 2 for 1 breakfasts with prosecco/bucksfizz + coffee or tea. I forget the price but it was under £10 per person. On the day we were offered bucksfizz only, no option for prosecco, and the milk put out was curdled.. Sent back and staff were apologetic but the icing on the cake was the bill which charged us nearly £3 per person extra for a cup of coffee each, something that should have been included in the voucher price.

Afraid to say we haven't been back to either since.

After he performed his "magic" they lost the upmarket stuff and the whole place went kind of gastro pubbish...not expensive nor cheap enough...bit middle of the road and no longer enough of a draw to get me down that part of the city.

Had one or two mediocre experiences and not been back since...

I agree, he took the best aspects of upstairs and downstairs and threw them out leaving the worst aspects.

If I want to eat in a crowded bar I don't want to pay restaurant prices, likewise if I want to eat in a restaurant and pay restaurant prices I don't want to be surrounded by people stood up drinking. It lost its identity after Ramsey.

Archived