Iquan al Muslimeen HQ attacked in Egypt

The problem is that only some got the person they voted for in a free and fair vote.

The larger majority, otherwise he would not have won. Unless you're Cameron of course, then you'd just bribe somebody to get your way.

Please learn about politics.

You cannot automatically apply democracy to some Muslim countries. There are too many factionating separatist groups. Most want to live by Shia law.

We shouldnt assume that people want to live like us.

I really don't give a damn how they want to live - but I would prefer that their lifestyle choices didn't affect mine.

---------- Post added 01-07-2013 at 07:25 ----------

... Turkey was once cited as a flagship of secularism but it is coming undone.

Do you think it will come undone before it is admitted to the EU or afterwards?

Whatever happened to the Member States' veto?

Bring back Charles de Gaulle!

That doesn't change the fact that a significant number didn't get what they want and are expected to tolerate policies that they disagree with.

I really don't give a damn how they want to live - but I would prefer that their lifestyle choices didn't affect mine.

Very much to the point.

Egypt and Turkey both highlight the problem of democracy when it is subverted into mob-rule.

I would be protesting if I was told I had to change my lifestyle to fit in with the approval of others, irrespective of the fact that the others were the majority and voted for it.

Secularism, secularism, secularism!

That doesn't change the fact that a significant number didn't get what they want and are expected to tolerate policies that they disagree with.

Draw comparisons to the UK or any other country then

Very much to the point.

Egypt and Turkey both highlight the problem of democracy when it is subverted into mob-rule.

I would be protesting if I was told I had to change my lifestyle to fit in with the approval of others, irrespective of the fact that the others were the majority and voted for it.

Secularism, secularism, secularism!

I don't think Islam and secularism are compatible.

---------- Post added 01-07-2013 at 08:57 ----------

I did in post 10

My friend in Turkey took to the streets over many issues that he felt were eroding his secular freedoms, in particular the recent rules that dictated that he couldn't buy alcohol after 10pm.

What is happening in Egypt and Turkey cannot be compared to the UK, because here we support the rights of minorities rather than attempt to make them conform.

Turkey’s Prime Minister Tayyip Erdoğan once remarked that for him democracy was like a bus ride, once he gets to his stop he will get off.

---------- Post added 01-07-2013 at 09:05 ----------

I don't think Islam and secularism are compatible.

Islamism and secularism are incompatible obviously, but Turkey proved that Islam and secularism are compatible.

My friend in Turkey took to the streets over many issues that he felt were eroding his secular freedoms, in particular the recent rules that dictated that he couldn't buy alcohol after 10pm.

I remember that - some years ago - you couldn't buy alcohol in North Wales on Sundays.

I don't remember people rioting about it though. - They just went over the border and gave their trade to the English pubs.

I remember that - some years ago - you couldn't buy alcohol in North Wales on Sundays.

I don't remember people rioting about it though. - They just went over the border and gave their trade to the English pubs.

That was then, and not just Wales, but this is now. In the meantime we have had these puritanical rules relaxed, perhaps too far in the eyes of many, but nonetheless ...

If a religiously motivated government was to tell me I could no longer buy alcohol after 10pm then I would protest.

the alcohol ban has been overstated and if it had not been announced in a Muslim majority country it would not have been reported internationally. Fact is alcohol restrictions are in place in many jurisdictions all over the world of all kinds. The new rules in Turkey prohibit retail sales between 10pm and 6am, ban all alcohol advertising and promotion, and stop new shops and bars from opening within 100m of schools and mosques. This is not draconian by international standards and there is nothing particularly 'Islamic' about it. Buddhist Thailand introduced the Alcohol Restriction Act in 2008 which meant you could not buy alcohol in shops anymore after midnight, or even for a period of a few hours in the afternoons a bit like UK pub hours used to be. In Catholic Philippines, shops are often not allowed to sell alcohol in the vicinity of churches and schools and are forbidden to open as such. If anybody thinks that only Muslim majority countries prohibit the sale of alcohol, they had better think again. Plenty of voters in all sorts of places disapprove of what they see as being rowdy drunkeness in public places and are happy when the government, which needn't be an Islamic one, makes moves to try to restrict it.

Archived