Transfering number plate

Hi, been told by Swansea that I can't transfer my number plate from a car I own because its not tested, the car its comming off will not pass a test because the cam belt has snapped and it will cost too much to repair, I thought because it was sorned it would be ok, anyone know where I can get a test from so I can get it transfered and then Ill scrap it.

Thanks

Can you place it on retention and then transfer to a new car. No MOT needed then i don@t think

I think you need an MOT for the "doner" car...

"Applying to retain your registration

Send the following to DVLA Swansea, SA99 1DS:

a completed V317 ‘application to transfer or retain a vehicle registration number’ form

the registration certificate for the vehicle or the new keeper’s supplement with a completed V62 ‘application for a vehicle registration certificate V5C’

an MOT test certificate for the vehicle (needed for cars and motorcycles over 3 years old, and heavy goods vehicles over 1 year old

the fee, payable by cheque or postal order to DVLA (do not send cash)"

From here

https://www.gov.uk/personalised-vehicle-registration-numbers/retaining-a-registration-number

I wasn't sure,looks like the op could be on a pickle.

However what happens if you scrap a car surely you can't be expected to loose the reg.

If it has an MOT then you can keep the plate by putting it on retention I think...without an MOT you're in a pickle..

I've no idea of the cost of replacing the cambelt but does the number plate have any significant value?

I think the SORN simply means the car is off the road. It still may be in A1 condition.

I had my car sorned as I was working abroad.

Archived