Gay pride - party or political?

I was thinking about this today and put my thoughts to my best mate who's gay - just wondered what the people of Sheffield thought.

Basically pride used to be free and have stalls informing people about the gay lifestyle etc but now they are charging for entry.

So lets take this scenario - a group of anti gay people are walking through the venue for pride and see the stalls, have an opportunity to meet gay people and talk to them and see that they are normal etc and hopefully have their opinions changed.

But surely if they see 'gay pride - entrance fee 'x'' this would remove this opportunity for education?

My friend says that if they charge they can get bigger and better guests and as it grows this will educate people - but I'm not so sure, it seems to me like pride are just wanting to commercialize it.

What do you think, does charging for a party and commercially growing it increase peoples awareness or would it be better served being free, small, and educate people that way?

Should it be a party or seek to inform or a mixture of the two and how best could that be achieved?

this is part of the question, if its not political its just a party and doesnt really need specifically representing, if it is political and it is being turned into a party complete with charging surely you're keeping those who need to be educated by the political message (that gay people are equal) at arms length and shooting your own message in the foot?

I've nothing against pride at all, I'm just a bit unsure about the motives, it isnt clear enough about what its supposed to be for my liking. and in the process seems to be missing the opportunity to reach those it really should be educating.

I was thinking about this today and put my thoughts to my best mate who's gay - just wondered what the people of Sheffield thought.

Basically pride used to be free and have stalls informing people about the gay lifestyle etc but now they are charging for entry.

So lets take this scenario - a group of anti gay people are walking through the venue for pride and see the stalls, have an opportunity to meet gay people and talk to them and see that they are normal etc and hopefully have their opinions changed.

But surely if they see 'gay pride - entrance fee 'x'' this would remove this opportunity for education?

My friend says that if they charge they can get bigger and better guests and as it grows this will educate people - but I'm not so sure, it seems to me like pride are just wanting to commercialize it.

What do you think, does charging for a party and commercially growing it increase peoples awareness or would it be better served being free, small, and educate people that way?

Should it be a party or seek to inform or a mixture of the two and how best could that be achieved?

the gay lifestyle is normal. that's enough education.

deaf andy for you yes, and me

unfortunately there are people who still think its the dark ages and until they meet and talk to people who are gay they will continue to think they are not normal.

You do raise an interesting point though - does highlighting gay pride actually give the message that its not normal? what i mean is does having an event seperating gay people rather than just allowing them to get on with it somehow give the impression that it is different and not normal?

most things cant survive now without a fee, everybody is having to tighten their belts, i dont think charging is political, its just a sad necesity just like tramlines, and intro festival in boro, which sadly wasnt even on this year :(

It's a shame they are charging, it's a sign of the changing times.

Manchester has been charging for years, but then Manchester has a massive gay scene and can attract lots of people and some big names I would imagine. I think both Manchester and London Pride attract big name sponsers too.

In its early days Gay Pride was a political movement, now it seems to have morphed into party thing....For those that are out and extrovert, it's an opportunity to strut their stuff and mix with others. For those that aren't I guess there are alternatives.

Better that it's at Dev Green rather than Endliffe Park this year.

Oh I have heard that the gay pubs we have in Sheffield are charging on the door to gain entrance. not sure if that buys you a drink, or it's the landlord's way of showing solidarity :mad:

Archived