Speeding fine & New Drivers Act

i am curious about something.

Darkman. if you dont know your way to somewhere how do you find your way?

if your too busy to look at signs. does that include direction signs? no entry signs? or do you only fail to see the ones that might stop you speeding?

I come on here for a bit of advice, and what do I get ?

Typical Sheffield Forum....

You are getting advise, you just don't like the answers. If you don't take heed of road signs then you are going to come unstuck, which is exactly what you have done. If you want reassurance that everything will be ok then you are in the wrong place to get that, that is up to the people that uphold the laws of this land. You have clearly showed incompetence in your driving skills, both on the road and on here, you should just except whatever penalty you get, if it means a ban then so be it. Laws are there for a reason, as someone has mentioned, to protect you and other members of the public.

By the way I have never driven through motorway road works that didn't display "Temporary speed limit signs" be it the over head ones or ones at the side of the carriage way, they usually have the sand bags holding them down :hihi:

You have got the advice. Take it on the chin. Redo your test and be more careful next time.

In other words. Slow down and be more observant.

I really dont know what else you want. Is it just because the 'advice' isn't what you want to hear?

Ok then.. here goes...

Ahh diddums, there there. You go to Court and pled your case. You are surely bound to win and will get a simple tut tut and your licence back - after all it was only a couple of times caught speeding. I mean, its nothing is it.

.... How did that sound.

I quite like that, pity I know theres not a cat in hells chance of it happening.

It may sound strange, but I would happily take a short ban and a fine instead of the 3 points...

---------- Post added 01-07-2013 at 23:02 ----------

i am curious about something.

Darkman. if you dont know your way to somewhere how do you find your way?

if your too busy to look at signs. does that include direction signs? no entry signs? or do you only fail to see the ones that might stop you speeding?

Its this modern day invention called "Sat Nav" :hihi:

And as it happens, I just realised its got speed warnings on it...bugger :rant:

I genuinely did not see any temp speed limit signs.

As for the first speeding fine, that was the sneaky camera on the bend out at grenoside - one minute its 40mph, go round the bend and its 30mph...

In over 20 years of having bikes, that was my first ever speeding ticket...

And before anyone points out the obvious - I had my licence taken away a few years ago due to health reasons. Only managed to get a provisional back about 3 years ago after drs reports etc..

First ever time you got caught you mean :hihi:

Picked my first one up in a car, crept over the 30 limit and ended up nudging 40. The next time was on the bike and they let me off. Some you win some you lose.

The punishment is discretionary, the speed limit isn't.

5 key points of the smiths system

1. Aim high in steering. Set your sights high and look far into the future that you plan to enter. See and react to future problems before they become unavoidable hazards.

2. Get the big picture. To make the right decisions, your information must be complete. The information you need lies not only 15 seconds ahead, but all around you. Set your eyes to establish a 360-degree circle of constant awareness.

3. Keep your eyes moving. Getting and keeping The Big Picture requires the proper scanning techniques. Scanning requires constant eye movement. Eye movement activates your full visual potential and keeps you alert to the changing Big Picture.

4. Leave yourself an out. Using your eyes properly gives you time to make decisions. In addition to time, you need space. Space is your way out. It's a cushion, and an escape route, from the seen and the unforeseen. Driving today's heavy motor vehicles requires you take care of yourself and other users of the roadway. With the ever-increasing advent of the compact and sub-compact car, the operator of large tank-trucks must take extra precautions.

5. Make sure they see you. Your Big Picture includes people who may not be aware of your presence, but should be. Get their attention, get eye contact. There are various warning signals you can use: lights, horn, turn signal, etc. Being seen is essential if you are to prevent collisions in spite of the incorrect actions of others.

It must be imposible to prove that there were speed limit signs for temp roadworks. So how can any fine be enforcable?

He was on the motorway, it's virtually a given that they'll request drivers to slow down using roadsigns and overheads.

Archived