Presumed Consent for Organ Donation

Presumed Donation, a good thing?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Presumed Donation, a good thing?

• Yes, it's a good idea
    • No, I'd rather opt in

My body is donated to medical science I have a letter attached to my will to that effect and my nearest and dearest are fully aware of that decision. I'd carry a donor card but know my organs are pretty low grade already and so thought medical students might as well get a bit of use out of me. I have a few issues with the present opt in system as it seems as though a good data base of donors isn't kept and the nearest and dearest can say no. An opt out system would seem desirable if only so loved ones who are in grief aren't having to be asked if they mind, not an easy conversation to have I bet. I'm also a little irked that apparently it is 'religious leaders or church leaders who are opposing this, I'm sorry but I'd like names and titles if that is the case. My only miff would be if the cause of death on tmy death certificate read 'autopsy'

None have had posters so ignorant or selfish as on this one.

Disagreeing with this legislation has nothing whatsoever to do with ignorance or selfishness but everything to do with a fundamental and basic human right to do what you wish with your own body. In addition, we have many ethnic/religious communities living in this country who could, and would not sanction this because of their beliefs.

The fact that you don't believe this legislation to be correct does not mean that you would not donate any part of your body. I have donated blood and plasma for virtually all of my adult life, since the age of 18, amassing more than one hundred donations. I was also (when in the age bracket) a potential bone marrow donor so I do not count myself as selfish for not agreeing to this legislation. My body parts have already saved lives.

There is a real risk that this will backfire as people will feel pressurised by the state and withdraw from donation. Also, it could put medical staff in a difficult situation if they remove organs and then find out that the person had opted out. Mistakes can be made. Legal action by the next of kin could well ensue.

There is a real risk that this will backfire as people will feel pressurised by the state and withdraw from donation.

Do you think that number will outweigh the number of apathetic people who aren't bothered about opting in or out?

Also, it could put medical staff in a difficult situation if they remove organs and then find out that the person had opted out. Mistakes can be made. Legal action by the next of kin could well ensue.

That's 'argument by mistake', which could happen whatever the legislation was.

I'm very moved by the argument that the state has no right to presume. A few years ago I'd've disagreed, but I support human rights. My person is my own - and I own it. However, if I feel that strongly I can opt out. My person is still my own, and I still own it.

I also dislike utilitarian arguments, that the greater good is done by presuming what people want. But it is true.

In conclusion, I'm conflicted. I can't choose either side just yet.

Well, me & the other half are on the donor registration list but both of us would remove our names from that list if there was an 'opt out' ruling here. We want to remain in control at the end of our lives & over the years we have had very good reason to lose faith in the powers that be governing the NHS. I want what happens to me & mine at the end of our lives to be in OUR control.

It's bad enough fighting the horrendous injustice of the Liverpool Pathway system let alone them having another reason to hurry you along in your dying days.

but I support human rights.

That is the crux of the matter. Many of us have parents and grandparents who served, and perhaps were maimed or killed, in WW2. They fought for our freedom, not for the state to legislate on what we can and can't do with our bodies, dead or otherwise.

Wales can do what it likes but I suspect that it will not come into force in England because the English have an ingrained dislike of government interference and a love of their personal liberty.

That is the crux of the matter. Many of us have parents and grandparents who served, and perhaps were maimed or killed, in WW2. They fought for our freedom, not for the state to legislate on what we can and can't do with our bodies, dead or otherwise.

Wales can do what it likes but I suspect that it will not come into force in England because the English have an ingrained dislike of government interference and a love of their personal liberty.

No they did not.

But you still have the freedom to do what you want with your body. You have the freedom to opt out if you do not wish to donate your organs.

I've been reading this story on a number of regional forums and discussion areas. None have had posters so ignorant or selfish as on this one.

Sheffielders are unique huh!

---------- Post added 03-07-2013 at 11:38 ----------

Best not go to Wales, eh? ;)

I think it might be wise, burning holiday homes gives a good indication of what they are capable of :hihi:

Archived