Presumed Consent for Organ Donation

Presumed Donation, a good thing?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Presumed Donation, a good thing?

• Yes, it's a good idea
    • No, I'd rather opt in

It is puzzling why people seem to be of the opinion that folk who don't agree with the new legislation also do not want to donate their body parts. The two are not necessarily bound together. They are actually two separate issues.

It might be helpful for people to be aware of stories like this one here and here before coming to any decision on this.

Also, the grief of bereavement is a very traumatic for loved ones. It could be made much worse if the state had the right to override their wishes and remove body parts. Who can forget the distress of parents who had no idea that hospitals had removed, and stored organs from their dead babies? It is not just about the dead person but about those that are left behind too.

And if people feel that strongly about donating organs they will opt in as fast as.

See G-Tech's post...

I voted yes, it's a good thing.

People who don't mind what happens to their body after death might not make the effort to opt in under the current system, but people who feel strongly that they don't want to donate will make the effort to opt out if it changes.

There is everything to gain in the new system

So state theft then.

The "state" won't get your body at all

---------- Post added 04-07-2013 at 11:16 ----------

It is puzzling why people seem to be of the opinion that folk who don't agree with the new legislation also do not want to donate their body parts. The two are not necessarily bound together. They are actually two separate issues.

Could you show a post which suggests people think this?

I give in with the other guy so i'll ask you the same thing

Why is it selfish. What makes it so wrong in your eyes for someone to wish that nothing is removed from their body when they die?

Also

Why should they be denied the chance to live by accepting a donor organ?

Primarily because you're dead and your organs are of no longer of any use to you, but could make the difference between life and death for someone else.

I don't believe that someone who isn't a donor should be denied an organ, maybe it'd instill a little bit of selflessness in them from the previous owner.

Primarily because you're dead and your organs are of no longer of any use to you, but could make the difference between life and death for someone else.

I don't believe that someone who isn't a donor should be denied an organ, maybe it'd instill a little bit of selflessness in them from the previous owner.

I understand your point but (for arguments sake and as things currently are) if I whilst lying on my death bed are concerned for my wife and child and do not even consider donating; not for anything other than the realisation that this is it, am I still selfish?

I'm not in debt to humanity so when I die I owe it nothing. If I choose to give something that's up to me not any guilt trip.

I give in with the other guy so i'll ask you the same thing

Why is it selfish.

Because...

Definition of selfish

adjective

(of a person, action, or motive) lacking consideration for other people; concerned chiefly with one’s own personal profit or pleasure

What makes it so wrong in your eyes for someone to wish that nothing is removed from their body when they die?

There's nothing wrong with it, as far as I'm concerned. It's just a little selfish, if there's no other reason behind it.

---------- Post added 04-07-2013 at 11:51 ----------

I understand your point but (for arguments sake and as things currently are) if I whilst lying on my death bed are concerned for my wife and child and do not even consider donating; not for anything other than the realisation that this is it, am I still selfish?

I'm not in debt to humanity so when I die I owe it nothing. If I choose to give something that's up to me not any guilt trip.

Not sure I understand what you're saying, are you saying that you think the decision to donate should be left until your your final hours?

Also, the grief of bereavement is a very traumatic for loved ones. It could be made much worse if the state had the right to override their wishes and remove body parts.

It's not about the wishes of relatives, or shouldn't be, if the deceased has made it clear they wish for their organs to be donated, whether by making their intentions known or by opting not to withdraw their name from the new register.

I'm quite happy to give up my organs upon my death but I'm of the opinion that something like this should be opt in and not presumed consent that you have to opt out of.

More effort needs to be made in getting people who are happy to donate after death to get their name down for doing so.

If anyone wants to look into what has been agreed in Wales, it involves no removal of organs without family acceptance. However, starting from a position of presumed consent of the deceased makes the whole job a lot easier.

By the way, a lot of Welsh donated organs already make their way into England.

Archived