Presumed Consent for Organ Donation

Presumed Donation, a good thing?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Presumed Donation, a good thing?

• Yes, it's a good idea
    • No, I'd rather opt in

Not sure I understand what you're saying, are you saying that you think the decision to donate should be left until your your final hours?

No i'm not saying that.

Are people saying that; again for arguments sake, I should leave my body parts for donation because they think it's the right and selfless thing to do?

Am I not entitled even for selfish reasons to keep me all together in my body?

Are people willing to accept that family members that have died without giving the opportunity of life are selfish. I don't consider my parents selfish for having the gaul to be cremated taking everything with them.

I came into this world with what I have inside me now. They've served me well so I might just take them with me, no pleasure no profit.

If there is state ownership of the body who's responsible for the funeral cost.
It's not state ownership as such, more like an automatic right of FoC preemption by the NHS.

Still...I wonder if funeral parlours will start to introduce discounts by (removed-) weight ;)

Without wanting to sound too mych of a luddite (but at the risk of coming across ever-more heartless...oh well!), the measure is quite anti-Darwinist and, with reference to the very fundamental, serious and co-dependent problems that are a (i) fast-ageing and (ii) fast-growing UK population, I'd expect it to compound the NHS funding problems that bit further.

Could you show a post which suggests people think this?

Rootsbooster - you cannot have read the whole thread - it is littered with talk of 'selfishness' and similar rhetoric. It becomes quite clear that people are linking the two issues. Because someone does not agree with the state presumption of consent does not means that they do not wish to donate their organs. For many it is the principle that is the issue here. Some authorities are already saying that this could lead to less organs being available as people opt out because they resent the legislation.

The argument that people who opt out should then not be given an organ if they need it is irrelevant. I gave body parts for many, many years and not once did I think that I was doing it so that if I needed some blood or plasma myself it would stand me in good stead. Like many other donors, I gave for altruistic reasons, nothing more, nothing less and in my view that is what should happen with organ donation.

No i'm not saying that.

Are people saying that; again for arguments sake, I should leave my body parts for donation because they think it's the right and selfless thing to do?

Are people willing to accept that family members that have died without giving the opportunity of life are selfish. I don't consider my parents selfish for having the gaul to be cremated taking everything with them.

I came into this world with what I have inside me now. They've served me well so I might just take them with me, no pleasure no profit.

Where do you think you're going??

When you're gone, you're gone. Buried or burned. I don't think you'll be needing your internal organs.

Besides, if you wish to stay whole, just opt of donating. Simple.

No i'm not saying that.

But just think of the profit your organs might make for the hospital.

I gave body parts for many, many years and not once did I think that I was doing it so that if I needed some blood or plasma myself it would stand me in good stead. Like many other donors, I gave for altruistic reasons, nothing more, nothing less and in my view that is what should happen with organ donation.

Bloodyhell, how many do you have?

Archived