Presumed Consent for Organ Donation

Presumed Donation, a good thing?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Presumed Donation, a good thing?

• Yes, it's a good idea
    • No, I'd rather opt in

There's no legal obligation!? So why the debate? If a body belongs to no oje thej are you playingv' finders keepers' if you wanna quote scripture ' thou shall not covet thy neighbours ass'

---------- Post added 02-07-2013 at 15:53 ----------

Why not sell them, they're obviously a prized asset

Transplanting organs is a good idea if the donor has consented in 1st place, nobody has the right to play god and say we will harvest that body. Organ donation has always been a personal choice, as has the receiving of any donated organ, you can refuse a transplant.

I don't want my body carving up and harvesting when I go, it will be a sad enough time for my family as it is without having to see me cut to pieces.

I don't want my body carving up and harvesting when I go, it will be a sad enough time for my family as it is without having to see me cut to pieces.

Hate to put it to you, but there's a good chance you may have an autopsy when you croke it. So, the carving up might just be on the menu yet :)

I'd be opting out.

The Gvt and other 'higher instances' already regulate enough facets of our everyday lives as it is, without allowing them to regulate our deaths as well (whether at the bequest of the medical profession or not, that is irrelevant).

Moreover, unless I am mistaken, my family would have no say about the 'suitability' of the recipient (in moral terms: I am absolutely, and resolutely, against prolonging the life of any criminal - who should be mandatorily DNR'd at the time of their conviction and for the duration of their incarceration at least), nor benefit from such harvesting in any way (in monetary or other terms).

It wouldn't be long before trafficking by Trusts (ever harder-pressed for funding as they are) and associated parties turns rampant, either. Let's not kid ourselves about that one - their "rap sheet" is clear for all to see, and has been getting ever-more charged by the week lately.

If a patient is conscious and alert then yes I do ask if they consentnto be treated. If unconscious then I treat. This is presumed consent, the difference being one presumes that the pt would accept help. Now presuming that someone who is deceased and is a suitable doner would consent to having their body mutilated to help another is presumptious to say the least.

Btw paramedics dont amputate.

My Organs My Choice.

I believe organ donation is a benefit to society, I dont believe theft of those organs is.

So you presume that they want to be helped, but you don't think we should presume they would want to help others.

Two paramedics were forced to amputate the legs of a man whose limbs were crushed by a train at Plymouth station in Devon.

I'm getting the impression that you are not a paramedic.:suspect:

---------- Post added 02-07-2013 at 17:04 ----------

Will you allow them to burn it, or are you intending to allow microbes and fungi to slowly digest it. :)

Absolutely not. Principle of Consent by definition relies on the patient's 7nformed decision to donate their organs. The Welsh Assembly is having a vote on whether the state owns your body when you're dead. This agenda is only being pushed because the vast majority of people don't wish to donate because if they did they would register on the current system. We all have the choice as to what happens to our body when we are alive this should continue in death, just as we decide what happens to our material belongings. Why should my organs be given to someone who has abused theirs?

I wonder if you would feel the same if it was your loved one who needed a transplant - I doubt it.

If you are on the organ donation register I don't think it likely they would present a case history to you so see if you thought someone waiting for an organ was worthy of one of your organs - you are likely to be dead or nearly so.

I find it very difficult to understand someone in your profession having such an opinion tbh.

---------- Post added 02-07-2013 at 17:36 ----------

The same argument applies when opting out. People dont think about death until they become middle aged at least. Therefore they wont get around to opting out. And inmthe fase of a sudden death it is too late. As for the factors for the need for organs, we a constently being informed of things such as diabetes smoking alcohol and drug abuse being a drain on the nhs. All if which can lead to heart and lung disease not mejtion the strain on the abdominal organs. The debete cdntres around whether the state represented by a Dr can take ownership of your body wiyhout your prior consent being giving. To take anything without consent is wrong and punishable under the law.For whatever reas8n the current system doesn't produce enough doners. It might be because people arent aware of it , or it might be because people don't want to be doners. So either raise the profile or dealmwith the fact that the British public dont care, but dont steal my organs

Not so. Corneas, bone and skin can been harvested many hours or even days (?) after death.

---------- Post added 02-07-2013 at 17:41 ----------

I'm ok with it as i said earlier, my only objection would be if my wife would be against it in which case the answer will be no and i'd opt out.

Humanity for me does not stretch beyond the grave. I have no particular desire to help anyone when I die, I simply don't care what happens to my carcass once I am dead, family members may do and it is they who will decide my fate and ultimately my decision.

Don't wish to be morbid but this is a conversation you need to have NOW so that she is aware of your wishes and won't have to make any decisions should the worst occur. The harvesting of organs is done far more carefully and with more respect than the average post mortem - I have witnessed both and can confirm this.

---------- Post added 02-07-2013 at 17:43 ----------

No, the government has no rights to my body what so ever!

Don't think that David Cameron et al want your organs but a sick person might.:)

---------- Post added 02-07-2013 at 17:45 ----------

If a patient is conscious and alert then yes I do ask if they consentnto be treated. If unconscious then I treat. This is presumed consent, the difference being one presumes that the pt would accept help. Now presuming that someone who is deceased and is a suitable doner would consent to having their body mutilated to help another is presumptious to say the least.

My Organs My Choice.

I believe organ donation is a benefit to society, I dont believe theft of those organs is.

Now I am certain that you aren't in the profession you state to be - if you are then maybe you should consider a career change.

Shame on you.

---------- Post added 02-07-2013 at 17:48 ----------

Transplanting organs is a good idea if the donor has consented in 1st place, nobody has the right to play god and say we will harvest that body. Organ donation has always been a personal choice, as has the receiving of any donated organ, you can refuse a transplant.

They won't see you cut to pieces !

But they may gain some comfort from knowing that your death has allowed several others to live.

Maximus, all creatures have an inert instinct for self preservation,

Daven if I consent to give my organs to a loved one thats up to me. The chances of a loved one needing them after my sudden desth is small.

Maximus good research on the train story, I would love to know which paramedics carry surgical impliments in their kit, they also had a surgeon on the phone.

And why cant I say that stealing organs is mutilation?

Archived