Are Job Centres Useful?

Job centres are useless. A procession of jaded and tired people queuing up to sign on with jaded and tired advisors running through the same script.

"Have you done any work, paid or unpaid in the last two weeks?"

"What jobsearch activities have been doing?"

"Have you seen anything that interests you here today?"

"Would this interest you?" (hands claimant details of a part-time masseuse vacancy at local "sauna").

"Thank you, see you in two weeks."

When I signed on there was never any interest shown in me as a person and what job I might suit and might suit me. The only thing that was of any use was a job-plan workshop I went to where the bloke running it took an interest in me, knew certain courses and training I could go on and hey presto I've never looked back.

It's thanks to that one advisor that I am the fine and upstanding and much treasured civil servant you see before you today. All his fault. :D

To be fair, I think the staff at Woodhouse are pretty approachable, and I've not come across any who have been in any way judgmental with me.

However, the touch screen terminals are pretty much useless since they changed everything to Universal Job Match and outsourced the terminal info, and the website to Monster...one of the worst job web sites I ever had the misfortune to visit.

Many of the jobs shown on Universal Job Match are advertised up to a half dozen times on the same search, many more have long been filled ,but not been removed from the site.

I'm looking forward to the day I get a job and can sign off for good, it can't come soon enough!!

Same here pal, same here :thumbsup:

---------- Post added 02-07-2013 at 17:56 ----------

Job centres are useless. A procession of jaded and tired people queuing up to sign on with jaded and tired advisors running through the same script.

"Have you done any work, paid or unpaid in the last two weeks?"

"What jobsearch activities have been doing?"

"Have you seen anything that interests you here today?"

"Would this interest you?" (hands claimant details of a part-time masseuse vacancy at local "sauna").

"Thank you, see you in two weeks."

When I signed on there was never any interest shown in me as a person and what job I might suit and might suit me. The only thing that was of any use was a job-plan workshop I went to where the bloke running it took an interest in me, knew certain courses and training I could go on and hey presto I've never looked back.

It's thanks to that one advisor that I am the fine and upstanding and much treasured civil servant you see before you today. All his fault. :D

God help us :hihi:

Being out of work, I find that every 2 weeks I go in and can write on my hand exactly what they say to me and in what order.

Their touch screen terminals are a joke, very dated and not at all intuitive.

At Woodhouse where I sign on, they have around 3 boards set up at the entrance purely for work experience placements.

They all state work experience, that is it.

When you do sign on, they ask the following...

Hello, can you confirm your number and first line of your address.

Then...

How is the job search going?

To which you can either lie through your teeth to shut them up or be honest and say things are going really bad.

If you say the latter then they automatically pass judgement like you are not doing enough for work and think you are not able to work.

Then, after justifying what ever you need to say, they will say, sign on there please followed by thanks then you go.

When ever you want to ask them about anything regarding jobs and courses they always seem in a rush to get you out the door.

Like job centres actually promote negative job searching instead of taking time out to focus on individuals.

Maybe they should re-brand the dole as Sign Stop or Benefit Bureau :suspect:

The last time I had reason to frequent a job centre was about 25 years ago, from your post not a lot as changed.

Well I know that if ever an incentive was required to find employment, a visit to a job centre was it. Not through the efforts and merits of the staff but by being surrounded by people who never have worked and never intend to.

Not all - let me be clear - but far too many.

and so what?

The jobcentre staff work under a very strict regime, and have very harsh targets to meet some may be rude, but don't say that all are. As for the job points they have been crap since they were introduced circa 2002 IMS.

They are an Australian concept and were taken on after some bigwigs took a trip to Oz, and thought they were the DB's; when in fact they are awful always have been.

It was so much better when it used to be boards with cards on, okay sometimes staff got too busy to remove jobs gone, but not very often. Oh and the staff at Woodhouse are a good bunch, just have a day in their shoes and see if you could handle the abuse they get in any jobcentre.

This is how I think it should be.

1. If anyone chooses not to work, that's up to them they should be left to it. All the resources that are targetted at these can then be aimed at those who want a job.

2. Nobody should have to do anything more than sign on on the signing day. Anyone who needs support can ask for it. These people will then receive extra help that will be funded by savings made from teaching grannies to suck eggs.

3. Direct all the savings made into providing training courses and paid placements at employers.

4. Stop kidding everyone that there are any jobs available, of any merit. There are some but they're always available because they're so rubbish..

This is how I think it should be.

1. If anyone chooses not to work, that's up to them they should be left to it. All the resources that are targetted at these can then be aimed at those who want a job.

2. Nobody should have to do anything more than sign on on the signing day. Anyone who needs support can ask for it. These people will then receive extra help that will be funded by savings made from teaching grannies to suck eggs.

3. Direct all the savings made into providing training courses and paid placements at employers.

4. Stop kidding everyone that there are any jobs available, of any merit. There are some but they're always available because they're so rubbish..

Yep, plany of egg sucking jobs out there :hihi:

Mind you, there needs to be services on demand nowadays, not everyone can and will accept the same things.

Wait till you go on the "not verymuch work programme"......

I am still on their mailing list even though I'm no longer unemployed....

Remember.... I'm a fifty-something year old geezer with experience in plumbing, engineering, electrics, electronics, fabrication etc..... and here are a couple of their suggestions for me over the last few days.......

Sheffield and Hallamshire County Football Association is passionate about developing grassroots football and is seeking to recruit a Football Development Officer with special responsibility for the development of the game for girls and women (with some additional inclusion work) to help us do just that.

You need to be passionate about and committed to the development of football at a local level for all people within the game. This dynamic individual will be able to work under pressure, handle multiple priorities and meet deadlines.

This post is a fixed term contract until 30 June 2014 with a view to it being extended subject to the continuation of FA funding. For further information on the role please contact us on

Hair Stylist

Experienced hair stylist with a least an NVQ 2 to work in a hair/beauty salon.

- Duties to include cutting, colouring and styling, occasional reception duties such as, answering phone, taking appointments, and taking payments.

- Able to work under own initiative, as well as part of a team.

- To work in friendly salon which has been established for 12 years

£wage negotiable

Receptionist

Part time receptionist required to work approx. 21 hours. Must be flexible and able to work evenings, days and Saturdays as required and cover holidays etc.

Must have some receptionist experience, good communication skills. Previous work within the veterinary field would be an advantage but not essential.

£7.20 per hour, 21 hours per week

Amazingly They4e Didn't find me employment, what a surprise huh?

Archived