Green un! Green un! Final Score.

Stopped buying it when it went up to a quid.Got every one since '83 and some earlier ones.

The writing was on the wall when they last put the price up. It had always been the same price as the Star previously. I never missed a Saturday during the football season from around 1960 until about five years ago when its decline gathered pace.

Used to love the Harry Heap cartoons and the letters page.

When I were a lad I well remember standing outside the newsagents on a Saturday night waiting for the Green'un van to drop them off and then fast forward about 40 years when I was employed by Sheffield Newspapers and working on the Green'un, the front page would be the last to go to press about 5.10 and then running across High Street for the 5.15 bus home.

It was said many times then that the circulation of the Green'un fluctuated greatly depending on the success or not of the Blades and Owls. If they both ever get back into the Premiership Jeremy Clifford will rue the day it went online. What are the percentages of readers of the paper firstly in print and then online?

I used to have a Green Un round covered most of the Arbourthorne i got my supply from Hanson the newsagent on City Road near Wulfric Road. I delivered a few Green Un,s for Hansons that would have been delivered with Sundays papers in return i got mine at cost would be early 1950s remember having pockets full of copper paper was only two old pence.

good riddence to it sooner its gone thebetter,complete waste of paper and ink

You might be right in these days of recycling etc,read it on your phone if you want,but you can't beat the good old days.

Watching wednesday all over the country,stopping off for a few beers,getting the local paper (green or pink wherever you were) to find out how the others had gone on was a religion.

I remember as a kid standing outside the shop in Grenoside with plenty of other people waiting for the van to deliver the Green Un......Happy days!!!

Radio Shuff this morning did say that it was likely to become an online publication in the future.

Regards

Doom

I reckon Greno must have been his last drop, always seemed to be late!

Best thing about the Green Un was arriving at the newsagent and waiting for them to be delivered.

Not seeing the point in waiting outside, it made sense to call into the Rising Sun and have a quick un whilst keeping an eye on the newsagent's across the road.

Sad to say, it's had its day. Time to move on. We're all iPad and iPhone dependent now and any newspaper in paper form is, most probably, inhaling its last breath of life.

When i was a kid , always had to wait for it at paper/shop to be delivered, then as i got older it went hand in hand with a pint.;)

price shot up and stopped buying it! shame really , wonder if someone out there wud take advange and do a paper

It was quite annoying listening to Southerner Jeremy Clifford spouting as to why the Green Un was being put to bed for good. I can see the Star going the same way, despite what Editor Mr Clifford says the Star has lost a good deal of its readers because of changes instigated by the company that own the paper. Most of the Reporters haven't a clue about Sheffield and are totally unaware of the dross that's been written by them.

Archived