History of Woolworths (The Moor)

sheff-lad

I think there may have been a Woolworth store at Hillsborough.

Incidentally the own label of Woolworth was Winfield, which was the founder's middle name.

Woolworth's own products (like M&S St. Michael) were 'Winfield' but their records-which you had never heard such garbage in your life- were on 'Embassy.' which I think had a maroon label.

Woolworth's own products (like M&S St. Michael) were 'Winfield' but their records-which you had never heard such garbage in your life- were on 'Embassy.' which I think had a maroon label.

Oh dear, yes I remember Embassy records very well, never bought one myself, even though they were 2 bob cheaper, but a mate of mine did and had the audacity to say he had a bigger record collection than me LOL:)

Oh dear, yes I remember Embassy records very well, never bought one myself, even though they were 2 bob cheaper, but a mate of mine did and had the audacity to say he had a bigger record collection than me LOL:)

Yes Mr.T, as you know the cover artists on the Embassy label were only doing cover versions of the originals with inferior groups and well,.. 'orchestras' backing them. Talk about bad imitators of say: Cliff Richard, Helen Shapiro, Adam Faith etc and as you say, for a couple of bob more you got the real thing. Loved 'Woolies' in general tho', got them cardboard spare collars there.

I remember going to the Haymarket branch with mum as a kid.

My big treat was to have a small bag of salted peanuts from the heated trays with the light over the top. It was the first place I ever saw Whippy ice cream. Embassy Records, of course, which were really rubbish. Bought my first Airfix kit from there which began an obsession that lasted all the years I was in short trousers.

When I was in my teens, we'd often go down town Saturday morning and my mate always had to start off with a bag of broken biscuits from Woolies. Don't underestimate the 'pulling' power of a broken biscuit !

I remember going to the Haymarket branch with mum as a kid.

My big treat was to have a small bag of salted peanuts from the heated trays with the light over the top. It was the first place I ever saw Whippy ice cream. Embassy Records, of course, which were really rubbish. Bought my first Airfix kit from there which began an obsession that lasted all the years I was in short trousers.

When I was in my teens, we'd often go down town Saturday morning and my mate always had to start off with a bag of broken biscuits from Woolies. Don't underestimate the 'pulling' power of a broken biscuit !

Power indeed, that is the BBC...LOL:hihi:

---------- Post added 14-07-2015 at 16:34 ----------

Meat and cheese rationing continued until 1954, egg and sugar until 1953 and tea until 1952, I remember queuing with my grandmother in the Charnock cub hut for renewal ration books.

I am pretty sure I was 8 when I got my first Mars bar without a coupon, I was born 1945, so I would say at least chocolate was off ration in 1953, that's all I cared about anyway:D

---------- Post added 14-07-2015 at 16:44 ----------

Yes Mr.T, as you know the cover artists on the Embassy label were only doing cover versions of the originals with inferior groups and well,.. 'orchestras' backing them. Talk about bad imitators of say: Cliff Richard, Helen Shapiro, Adam Faith etc and as you say, for a couple of bob more you got the real thing. Loved 'Woolies' in general tho', got them cardboard spare collars there.

When Singing the Blues was a hit there were 2 versions in the charts Tommy Steele and Guy Mitchell, they were playing one version at our youth club and my pal said "me mam's got that record". I asked him which version and he couldn't remember. At his house a few days later, he put the record on. What a bloody racket, that was my first experience of an Embassy record..LOL