Women asked to finish phone call at supermarket checkout

this is one of my pet hates - people who think their own stupid phone call is more important than good manners

you see it too often in shops where ignorant people can't be bothered to suspend their conversation for just a few minutes

similarly on the tram and trains when the conductor has to stand there waiting for the moron to finish their conversation before they can be bothered to look for their ticket or pay their fare

sainsbury's should have supported their employee and said, "well, actually, we didn't have a policy on this, but we do now"

To many people trying to do things with their right hand glued to their ear e.g. getting on/off a bus with a pram, fishing aound in the bottom of handbags for stuff and trying to count money etc. It's just damned rude and unacceptable. I always think why are you doing this, why are you doing that. Maybe I should ask them outright instead of thinking it to myself.

You're wicked Janie!

Supermarket shopping can be a burden I have to do something to humour myself.:hihi:

In my own defence though if I'm not in a rush and someone behind me only has a few items, I often offer to let them go through before me.

And I certainly wouldn't expect to be served while using a mobile phone, I think that's very rude.

I think Sainsbury's PR department have spectacularly backfired here. I suspect the first thing that head office knew about the issue was when the press contacted them for comments prior to releasing the story, and they've immediately fallen back on the "customer is always right" line.

As well as uniting Daily Mail and Guardian readers, the feedback is unanimous on Twitter and Facebook - I've not seen one post defending the woman. The question is how embarrassing is a U-turn going to be to Sainsbury's, and how long do they leave themselves open to this tirade of public opinion.

Supermarket shopping can be a burden I have to do something to humour myself.:hihi:

In my own defence though if I'm not in a rush and someone behind me only a has few items, I often offer to let them go through before me.

And I certainly wouldn't expect to be served while using a mobile phone, I think that's very rude.

I do too Janie. We all know technology is new and maybe the social etiquette hasn't caught up yet, but at it's very base level, it 'is' just plain rude. I can't imagine any conversation being so, so, so important that you would have to behave in that manner.

Oh and while I'm on a roll...ranting. Why do some people on mobiles think that the whole street needs to hear 'their' conversation, and talk very loudly? :rant:

I still think the picture in my post #12 should be displayed in shops.

;)

Its a massive pain in the backside when your in a hurry and your stuck behind them chatting on their phone.

Like the people who wait till they are at the till to start searching for their purse after being in line for 10mins. Annoying

I just start looking at my watch.

I think Sainsbury's PR department have spectacularly backfired here. I suspect the first thing that head office knew about the issue was when the press contacted them for comments prior to releasing the story, and they've immediately fallen back on the "customer is always right" line.

As well as uniting Daily Mail and Guardian readers, the feedback is unanimous on Twitter and Facebook - I've not seen one post defending the woman. The question is how embarrassing is a U-turn going to be to Sainsbury's, and how long do they leave themselves open to this tirade of public opinion.

Indeed. I've worked for another well-known supermarket chain, in the store where I worked there was no dedicated customer service desk so a few staff members were given portable phones connected to the CS line.

I answered a call and the customer got abusive because as per company rules I couldn't do what he wanted, I gave him 2 warnings that continuing to be abusive would lead me to terminate the call. He didn't listen and I ended the call.

Following day I'm dragged into the office and dressed down for hanging up on the customer. I explained myself and was told. "Ok, I accept that but you should have transferred the call to a manager". My response was "So that manager could then break company rules, give in to his demands, despite his abuse and make me look like a ****?" The answer was yes.

Companies like Sainsburys etc CLAIM to have their staff's back but when it comes to actually doing it they fold quicker than a house of card in a tornado.

I agree with OP. It's really rude to talk on the phone when you're interacting with a shop assistant like that. I know that people find it really irritating if shop workers are chatting among themselves and ignoring customers. It's just as annoying the other way around.

Most "modern" shop workers will happily chat away on their mobile when they are serving you, sign of the times ;)

What are peoples thoughts on this story

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23158579

To be honest I applaude the lady on the ckeckout. I think its rude to be on the phone in circumstances like this. If the call is an emergency then that's another issue, however as the person on the phone hasn't mentioned anything of the sort it sounds like she just decided to have a chat whilst at the checkout.

I wonder how many items the cashier/checker 'accidentally' scanned twice? ;)

Archived