Government ignores advice of Drugs Committee.

Is it not illegal to participate in the sending of a substance known to be banned in the recipients country?

May I also guide people to the Home Secretary's statement on the government decision.

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/khat

huh? not sure what you mean, ain't that what I just said?

its illegal to send banned substances to the country its banned in?

Is it not illegal to participate in the sending of a substance known to be banned in the recipients country?

There's a distinct line, the border. When you step over it, it becomes illegal and you become a criminal up until that point it wasn't and you weren't. Because the country has a different law you are fine up until the border.

There will be some ambiguities a la Richard O'Dwyer no doubt. but until you actually cross the border your still under the laws that say its okay..

huh? not sure what you mean, ain't that what I just said?

its illegal to send banned substances to the country its banned in?

Not what you first said.

Your implication was that khat was legal here so there was no illegal activity here.

My point was to raise my belief that there was criminality here already involving those re-exporting to those countries where it is banned.

---------- Post added 05-07-2013 at 12:44 ----------

There's a distinct line, the border. When you step over it, it becomes illegal and you become a criminal up until that point it wasn't and you weren't. Because the country has a different law you are fine up until the border.

There will be some ambiguities a la Richard O'Dwyer no doubt. but until you actually cross the border your still under the laws that say its okay..

Like I was saying to Mel.

Isn't it illegal to knowingly export to banned countries?

I'm not certain. That is why it is a question.

Are the airlines happy to export goods that are banned in a destination country?

Not what you first said.

Your implication was that khat was legal here so there was no illegal activity here.

My point was to raise my belief that there was criminality here already involving those re-exporting to those countries where it is banned.

It's a technical point, but yes there would have been criminals here as they would have been criminals in the receiving country so yes they would have been criminals..

Now they are Definitaley criminals, My question would be as they are no criminals are they going to pack it in?

---------- Post added 05-07-2013 at 12:44 ----------

Like I was saying to Mel.

Isn't it illegal to knowingly export to banned countries?

I'm not certain. That is why it is a question.

yeah but only in the country its illegal and only when you actually export it.

The point is that before we could have kept something of an eye and a regulation on Khat, and now we can't as its completely illegal.

So will they stop growing and transhipping the stuff round the world?

As Russel Brand has been heard to say recently,

The legal status of a drug is no concern of the taker, It is an irritating inconvienence but it is not much of a barrier.

I haven't bought drugs in quite a long while. But I can 100% assure you that I could go out today and by this evening have any drug you like.

More to the point i can assure you that the drugs will be 100% untaxed and dealt by criminal gangs with the bare minimum of regulation with regards to standards-Usually a matter of pride on the part of the producer-

nothing has changed for the positive by banning Khat.

May I also guide people to the Home Secretary's statement on the government decision.

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/khat

So what she says is "I don't have any evidence to support this, just my own suppositions, but that's what I'm going with".

Archived