How many millions in a billion?

Sony

I don't think the government have passed legislation to stick an extra three 0's into a million??? 1*10^6, not 1*10^9

And being that this came about via international commerce and finance (globalisation), I'm not quite sure what the modern day labour goverment have to do with it... given that its been accepted as the financial definition for 50 or so years...

As people have pointed out, the old British billion 1*10^12 was just mathematically wrong.

The units increase in powers of 10^3

IE.

Killo = 1*10^3 = 1000 (one thousdand)

Mega= 1*10^6 = 1000,000 (one million)

Giga = 1*10^9 = 1000,000,000 (one billion)

Tera = 1*10^12=1000,000,000,000 (one trillion)

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billion

As people have pointed out, the old British billion 1*10^12 was just mathematically wrong.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billion

This is a classic example of the limitations of Wikipedia and peoples' use of it.

The page to which Andy78 has linked starts:

"The word "billion" and its equivalents in other languages refer to one of two different numbers, depending on whether the writer is using the long or short scale.

.... and goes on to refer to the difference between the 1,000,000,000,000 and the 1,000,000,000!

"The original meaning, established in the 15th century, was "a million of a million" "

There is no "right or wrong". There is the original use and a different use (which is becoming more generally accepted).

Wikipedia is far from being a definitive text and, if it is critical, one should always ask a person what they mean by a "billion"! :)

Firstly, I was incorrect in saying that it was wrong. It is just more widely accepted that 1*10^9 fits in with the power of three increments.

When I refer to the power of three increments, I am by no way suggesting that this is the way that all numbers increase because that would just be silly. However, the SI system groups the increases into a well recognised format of kilo, mega, giga, tera etc. All increasing by a power of three each time. Or reducing in the case of milli, micro, nano, pico etc.

Perhaps citing this as a rule was inaccurate. More of a useful, recognised format.

cgksheff, I didn't get my information from Wiki. I just used it as a backup. I am going by the information I have been taught over many years by many mathematicians. I accept that there are different aspects of a billion, but I am simply pointing out the most accepted format. I'm sorry if this annoys you.

Incidentally, there are still people that believe the world is flat. I cannot prove them wrong, just point them towards some information that I believe to be true.

Archived