Happy Independence Day 2013

In your mind only.

Meanwhile, back in reality, it was a lot more complicated than your childishly simplistic analysis would tend to suggest.

Europe and the USA, ultimately, owe their existence to one another.

no America definitely did wait as long as possible-I did not claim that Europe won it or would have won it alone! I was stating that Europe had been fighting a very long time before America dipped their toes.

I'm sorry but I find the statement I was replying to pretty offensive to the memories of my grandparents that lived through and fought through the war. The suggestion that what they did was irrelevant is pretty disgusting. The idea that America came and saved us Hollywood style is laughably simplistic and offensive.

I have no idea about WW1 though!

I started it by mentioning thieves, sorry for what was meant to be a light-hearted joke that clearly insults the British not Americans. -Who says Americans have no sense of humour!!

(sorry that was another joke based on Fawlty Towers)

I love that America waited as long as physically possible to get into WW2 but then try to take all the credit for winning it:hihi:

I may be wrong but wasn't it hardened criminals that got deported-they had a choice of hanging or deportation? Anyway it was a lighthearted comment that only paints britain in a bad light!

---------- Post added 08-07-2013 at 08:41 ----------

Yes but there is a bigger pool in America!

---------- Post added 08-07-2013 at 08:42 ----------

:love:I love that film!

---------- Post added 08-07-2013 at 08:45 ----------

Apple pie is surely british! and adding ice cream is not that novel

Dear oh dear how many times have I heard that statement. I used to have the same opinion until I started to learn a lot more about America at that period in history. Suggest you might do the same but then again why should you? It's easier just to make glib statements without bothering with the facts. Right?

What was the best part of "Fried green tomatoes"? Mine was the incident in the parking lot :hihi: :hihi:

Dear oh dear how many times have I heard that statement. I used to have the same opinion until I started to learn a lot more about America at that period in history. Suggest you might do the same but then again why should you? It's easier just to make glib statements without bothering with the facts. Right?

What was the best part of "Fried green tomatoes"? Mine was the incident in the parking lot :hihi: :hihi:

I know a lot of the facts, remember I was not the one suggesting that one country won the war. That was the simplification and it is utterly wrong.

I know a lot of the facts, remember I was not the one suggesting that one country won the war. That was the simplification and it is utterly wrong.

How much do you know about America in 1939 when Britain and France declared war on Germany?

How much do you know about America in 1939 when Britain and France declared war on Germany?

I don't know what your issue is but nothing anyone says will make it acceptable to claim that the actions of the various european resistance movements, the soldiers fighting, the German/Polish people helping the jews at great risk to their own lives, was irrelevant because all we needed was america to swoop in late in the day to fix all evil! That was the point I am arguing with because its a really offensive idea!

Archived