Happy Independence Day 2013

... until some bright spark found that it was much cheaper to kidnap simple tribes people from the west coast of Africa and use them instead...

Err....But they didn't kidnap them.

Slave ships didn't carry armies to capture slaves and slave dealers didn't maintain local armies to capture and hold them either.

They didn't need to. They bought them from other tribesmen who saw 'selling your neighbour' as an easy way to make money.

Err....But they didn't kidnap them.

Slave ships didn't carry armies to capture slaves and slave dealers didn't maintain local armies to capture and hold them either.

They didn't need to. They bought them from other tribesmen who saw 'selling your neighbour' as an easy way to make money.

You're right but what I meant was that overall they ended up being kidnapped by whoever.

Slave dealers were either European, Arab or American and were responsible for holding the slaves in transit until they could be loaded on slave ships.

In 1859 the US warship Constitution along with other American warships and also Spanish and British navy ships set up a blockade to intercept slave ships off the west coast of Africa. It achieved some success but the strange part was that if the slave ships got through they docked either in New York or Boston and off leaded their sad cargo there.

Make sense of that

Well I had a great 4th July. In the morning I made Belgian waffles for the missus and me and had em for breakfast, dripping with maple syrup.

Afternoon barbecued rib eye steaks which the missus had marinated and seasoned, also barbied pork chops, corn on the cob. There were potatoes and chilli as well and washed down with a bottle of Barefoot Wineries Riesling.

In the evening after dark watched fireworks display in town next to us. Fireworks not allowed in our town and police patrol streets to enforce it.

Later a nice helping of strawberry cheesecake and vanilla ice cream, finished off the wine, watched "Fried green tomatoes" on TV and so to bed

Just think.... if those rebels back in 1776 hadnt refused to obey the Stamp Act we would all have missed out :hihi: :hihi:

Well I had a great 4th July. In the morning I made Belgian waffles for the missus and me and had em for breakfast, dripping with maple syrup.

Afternoon barbecued rib eye steaks which the missus had marinated and seasoned, also barbied pork chops, corn on the cob. There were potatoes and chilli as well and washed down with a bottle of Barefoot Wineries Riesling.

In the evening after dark watched fireworks display in town next to us. Fireworks not allowed in our town and police patrol streets to enforce it.

Later a nice helping of strawberry cheesecake and vanilla ice cream, finished off the wine, watched "Fried green tomatoes" on TV and so to bed

Just think.... if those rebels back in 1776 hadnt refused to obey the Stamp Act we would all have missed out :hihi: :hihi:

You can be bit of a rebel yourself from the sound of it.;)

Glad you enjoyed the day. :)

What actually should have happened was that the criminals should have been left in England and the the rest of the population moving to America and Canada

Thanks for the kind words Phanerothyme and to the rest of you embittered, sour old buggers get back to work. It's not a holiday in Sheffo

:hihi: Every day in Sheffield is a holiday :P

Awww thank you Phan! You are so nice, every year you wish us a happy fourth and you never forget. :):wave:

Confession - I have an ulterior motive, I hope to visit the USA someday and need places to stay ;)

Unfortunately, we are having a really bad heat wave. right now :help:

Stay cool Sierra!

one of the best things we ever did, getting rid of that troublesome colony - they'll need us more than we'll need them...

;)

:hihi: Every day in Sheffield is a holiday :P

Confession - I have an ulterior motive, I hope to visit the USA someday and need places to stay ;)

Stay cool Sierra!

;)

Not so sure you'd want to visit us when we're having a heat wave (which finally broke, hallelujah!) Wooh! Only 92 (33.3 celsius today)

But I know you and your family would love California. Lots to see and do. Your kids would love the beach! I've been trying to get BoroughGal to visit for years. But then, she's been trying to get me to come to Sheffield for just as long! :hihi:

Reality check Harleyman! your not an American, you are British and don't be proud of that because we were worse than the Vikings, we plundered and pillaged far off lands and decided to claim THEIR lands as our own. (shame about Captain Cook tho:hihi:) he got his just deserves. Just look how this country and has treated the Native American, the Native Australians who were just get getting along with their lives until our race came along. Our bullying country also did it in India, it's lucky that our partners in crime ( so called America) are watching our backs, because our payback time is overdue, anyhow I just love how you and Buck are Lodging in America and then try to speak down to us' it's really quite sad how your lives have turned out, you go and live in a different country and then spend most of your time on here bragging to us how good the country is, to be quite honest, how much of your Stolen country do you both see given that your on this forum 24/7, WOW! your lives must be really exiting over there. PS, MODS if your reading give me a ban if you like for a few days or for good , as tho I would really care about that!, I'm sick and tired of these two idiots givin it large.

The town in which I used to live didn't (officially) celebrate the 4th of July until 1945, because Grant declined to accept the surrender of Viksburg until 4th July.

The war of Northern Aggression is still a bit of a sore point there. :hihi:

I'm not talking to them at the moment.
Thank you, Keep it that way.

---------- Post added 06-07-2013 at 13:54 ----------

They'll regret it and come running back to us one day.
What, and miss BBQ hamburgs, hot dogs, pickles, hot pastrami, Italian sausage and peppers, pretzels, pizza, waffles, apple pie a la mode, the best coffee in the world, donuts, root beer, maple syrup, Maine lobsters. Only to be served brown Windsor soup, Wimpies, walls ice cream (ugh) by waitresses who don't know how to smile. No thanks:hihi:

Archived