Cut water usage

There was an item on the BBC midday news saying (paraphrase):

"we are using to much water. The average shower takes about

8 minutes, if everyone reduced the time in the shower by 1 minute

then it would save £100-million ( not exactly sure of the amount )."

It reminded me of the film "I'm Alright Jack" about trade unions

with Peter Sellers and Ian Carrmichael.

Ian Carrmichael plays an inexperienced company man and suggests if the workers drank

less tea it would mean less time going to the loo and more time being productive.

Peter Sellers plays the trade union leader and calls all the workers out on strike

for such a suggestion.

So are you going to cut your water usage?

link to news item

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23176601

The supply of water is fairly constant unless we have a major drought. The problem is our population expansion. Water security is now discussed in the same terms as energy security. The problem is especially serious in the South East where the UK opened it's first desalination plant in 2010, which are very energy hungry.

Ian Carrmichael plays an inexperienced company man and suggests if the workers drank

less tea it would mean less time going to the loo and more time being productive.

Peter Sellers plays the trade union leader and calls all the workers out on strike

for such a suggestion.

link to news item

Wouldn't that mean there is a shortfall in profits for the water company though and therefore they woyld increases prices to keep their shareholders happy?

---------- Post added 04-07-2013 at 14:42 ----------

From the smell of people on the bus this morning I think a few more minutes in the shower are required.

It's a shame SF doesn't have "Like" "Dislike" voting buttons. + 1 for Like

I'm going to make myself look terribly stupid now but what happens to the water when it goes down the plug hole/toilet? and also given that the surface of planet earth is mostly water, why is water supply an issue? can't sea water be treated for household use?

I'm going to make myself look terribly stupid now but what happens to the water when it goes down the plug hole/toilet?

it eventually ends up in rivers and then the sea

and also given that the surface of planet earth is mostly water, why is water supply an issue?

the water and the people who need it aren't necessarily always in the same place, plus there is the cost of getting the water into a state where you can drink it without dieing or getting sick

can't sea water be treated for household use?

yes it can however the cost of doing it is huge

I'm going to make myself look terribly stupid now but what happens to the water when it goes down the plug hole/toilet? and also given that the surface of planet earth is mostly water, why is water supply an issue? can't sea water be treated for household use?

The problem with desalination plants to provide water ( one of zillions of articles ):

http://environment.about.com/od/biodiversityconservation/a/desalination.htm

for such a suggestion.

link to news item

I wash the car and take a shower every time it rains, it saves loads of water.:)

Archived