Buying an older car

But when you look at the cars, you can only inspect the underneath and framework of the car if you get it up on ramps.

You can be pretty sure that a 5-10 old car will last a few more years, but the older they get the lower that certainty is.

Same goes for high milage cars, petrol above 80K and diesel above 100k

Not really, it's the life they have, a car (within reason) will last decades in the right hands. I think mileage is irrelevant.

But when you look at the cars, you can only inspect the underneath and framework of the car if you get it up on ramps.

You can be pretty sure that a 5-10 old car will last a few more years, but the older they get the lower that certainty is.

Same goes for high milage cars, petrol above 80K and diesel above 100k

Why would I do that for someone? :hihi:

Old Lada's run for ever. I'm on my 142th engine and gearbockers. 897,986 on the clock.

If you buy an older car it would be a good idea if you can maintain it your self as sending an old car into a garage for repairs usually outweighs the cost of the car all of my vehicles are old and need constant maintenance.my 4x4 is 25 years old and still runs well and passes the MOT every year without much fuss,my Transit van is 15 years old and I have had to do loads of welding to it to get it through the test in the past, I also have a 1959 ford 100e popular that I have rebuilt.most people would have dumped them years ago but I just like to keep the old things going.

I would personally recommend a Vauxhall Corsa, in the price bracket you are looking at. You can pick up a decent one for £500. They tend to rust badly on the bonnet, and around the arches underneath the plastic spats, but this won't affect the running or the MOT'ability of the vehicle. Rust will only render the vehicle unroadworthy if it is within 12 inches of a mounting point, so you need to be looking at how well the chassis has fared, not the shell (bodywork, mainly cosmetic). Volvos, as already pointed out, are also quite good at weathering the years if they have been kept well. Look at how many owners the vehicle has had, and especially whether it has been garaged. That makes a massive difference! As pointed out, its no good buying a good looking car if the engine has seen better days - look for one that has done either around or ideally under the mileage (though these will obviously be more expensive) for its' year (allow 10,000 miles per year of age). Check the cambelt has been changed as well, if it's done more than 70,000 miles. Hope this helps!

Approx how much would the insurance be for a 20 year old using the cheapest type of legal cover? My grandson's been quoted £2300 providing he fits a snooper box to a low powered car. The cover only gives minimum legal requirements.

£500 sovs will not get very much these days. Good luck on your search, VW are usually good value.

Angel.

I am looking at a Fiesta on ebay, I will let u all know what I get. Might be today, not sure.

Approx how much would the insurance be for a 20 year old using the cheapest type of legal cover

Hi :) A Corsa, depending on the exact spec and model will fall within insurance groups 3 through 19. The lower the cheaper! A standard spec 1L version (group 3) will cost less than a 1.8L 16V (group 19), to insure. It will also matter whether you passed your test when you were 17, or whether it's recent (i.e. 20), as NCB can be counted from the moment you buy your first car. If you have been named driver on your parents car, then this won't count unless you choose the same insurer (and AFAIK, that would be Churchill or More Than, and they aren't cheap to start with!). Legal cover is always optional, and in my experience, only around £40 per year anyway. I have actually never bothered with it, unless it came included (though that doesn't mean it isn't worth anything - everyone has their own take on it!) Your best bet is to look on Ebay, Autotrader etc, and note down some reg plates of cars you could afford, and run them through comparethemarket, moneysupermarket, and gocompare for an estimate. Hope this helps! x

Archived