Buying an older car

Hi :) A Corsa, depending on the exact spec and model will fall within insurance groups 3 through 19. The lower the cheaper! A standard spec 1L version (group 3) will cost less than a 1.8L 16V (group 19), to insure. It will also matter whether you passed your test when you were 17, or whether it's recent (i.e. 20), as NCB can be counted from the moment you buy your first car. If you have been named driver on your parents car, then this won't count unless you choose the same insurer (and AFAIK, that would be Churchill or More Than, and they aren't cheap to start with!). Legal cover is always optional, and in my experience, only around £40 per year anyway. I have actually never bothered with it, unless it came included (though that doesn't mean it isn't worth anything - everyone has their own take on it!) Your best bet is to look on Ebay, Autotrader etc, and note down some reg plates of cars you could afford, and run them through comparethemarket, moneysupermarket, and gocompare for an estimate. Hope this helps! x

1L corsas have issues, that I won't go into here, but a standard 1.2L will certainly be in the cheaper end of insurance. New drivers are often punished with expensive insurance, and this is to be expected I'm afraid. Look for 5 door, not 3 door, as this also affects it.

Hi :) A Corsa, depending on the exact spec and model will fall within insurance groups 3 through 19. The lower the cheaper! A standard spec 1L version (group 3) will cost less than a 1.8L 16V (group 19), to insure. It will also matter whether you passed your test when you were 17, or whether it's recent (i.e. 20), as NCB can be counted from the moment you buy your first car. If you have been named driver on your parents car, then this won't count unless you choose the same insurer (and AFAIK, that would be Churchill or More Than, and they aren't cheap to start with!). Legal cover is always optional, and in my experience, only around £40 per year anyway. I have actually never bothered with it, unless it came included (though that doesn't mean it isn't worth anything - everyone has their own take on it!) Your best bet is to look on Ebay, Autotrader etc, and note down some reg plates of cars you could afford, and run them through comparethemarket, moneysupermarket, and gocompare for an estimate. Hope this helps! x

Thanks very much. I'll do that and let you know the results. Much obliged.

Archived