Sheffield Gang Wars

My grandmother lived as a young girl at the area, which is now the park hill flats, but I believe back then was an area of houses. She recollected to me that one morning she went to a neighbours house and saw a salesman running out from the entrance way. He ran past her and told her not to go down there. When she went to the back door the woman was dead on the floor she told me that someone else was blamed for the murder and that nobody would listen to her story of seeing the man run away. This must have been around 1915? Does anybody know of information on crimes from the past in the Sheffield area?

Hello,

I have just read `sheffield Gang wars` by JPbean after my dad mentionned that some of his relatives featured. William Furness- part of the park brigade and albert foster - part of the moony gang. I dont know much more than what the book tells me...but am very intrigued and would love to know more about this era. Does anyone know any more about william Furness? or Albert Foster?

Hello,

I have just read `sheffield Gang wars` by JPbean after my dad mentionned that some of his relatives featured. William Furness- part of the park brigade and albert foster - part of the moony gang. I dont know much more than what the book tells me...but am very intrigued and would love to know more about this era. Does anyone know any more about william Furness? or Albert Foster?

Hi,

I think I may know you...small world! All i know is what you read in the book too and what relatives tell you of cause. I would like to know more though.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking for information on an Amos Stewart (Stuart) who was sentenced to 10 years for manslaughter around the time two brothers were hanged for the murder of a chap called Plommer. I believe he may have been mixed up with the gangs in the Sheffield area arounds the 1920's

my father lived on princess street when he was a lad in the twenties i can remember he told there had once been a murder there.i thought he was joking obviously not.he used told me the street was a no go area at night.he said the gangs would fight with the cellar covers for protection he told about how a policeman called shillitto was brouhgt in to rid the streets of the gangs.

My dad lived on Princess st. too in the 20s/30s and told the same stories- apparently if someone 'messed' with the cellar grate gang, your window would be shattered by same.