Sheffield Gang Wars

my granny born around 1902 was wed to david tailor before she got with my grandad malone.

my mums oldest brother was douglas who died very young.

Does your mother Eileen have a sister ?

There was and Elizabeth Stuart who married someone called Nuttall and went onto marry someone else, could be Taylor?

Does your mother Eileen have a sister ?

There was and Elizabeth Stuart who married someone called Nuttall and went onto marry someone else, could be Taylor?

hi kipper ,

my mother has a few sisters ,dorris,cathleen,mona,pat,pam,ivy,elizabeth,doreen,mary.and as far as i no my gran elizabeth and my grandad never got wed.

I'm a writer currently working on a play for the Crucible Theatre, based loosely on the Sheffield Gang Wars.

My play deals with the Fowler Brothers, who were part of Sam Garvin's Park Brigade mob, and sentenced to death for the murder of ex-serviceman William Francis Plommer on Princess Street. The murder took place on the night following Sheff Utd's victory over Cardiff in the 1925 FA Cup final.

Whether the Fowlers were guilty, or just scapegoats, is still debateable.

Does anyone have any - or knows of any stories about that time -not just the Gang Wars, but ordinary life in the slums back then?

hi my sister and have spent a few years on our family tree and we find we are related to the fowler brother our grandparents and great grand parents lived intheprincess st area of the the fowler brother most of the family that would remember are long gone but the one we have spoke too says they did catch a tram to the wicker in order to cover there alibi but i have also read the books on the subject but what we have find out is there was a close brotherly tie between the two of them but whether they were guilty i have no idea as the one family member left that does remember refuses to talk about them he says they were a bad lot so i assume he does think them guilty

Hi all.

I'm a new user to this forum so if anyone has mentioned this earlier in the thread, please accept my apologies.

The Flying Squad was indeed very effective in quashing the gang troubles in Sheffield, but unfortunately it wasn't set up by Percy Sillitoe. The previous chief constable, Lt. Col. John Hall-Dalwood, formed the flying squad one year to the day before Sillitoe took office. Sillitoe certainly did support and encourage the activities of the squad but they were there and working when he took up his post.

Hall-Dalwood never received the credit for his activities in combating the Gang troubles, possibly because he was never interested in the kind of publicity that Sillitoe was. In the interests of historical accuracy it is important to note these facts.

• 1 month later...