Sheffield Gang Wars

Hi All

Interesting qoute from the last poster. But... at the risk of being repetetive, Sillitoe had nothing to do with forming the Flying squad. It had been formed a year to the day on which he took office. Lt. Col. John Hall Dalwood formed the squad, credit was denied him because he was not popular with the Police Authority.

Regards

DD

• 2 months later...

Hi Everyone

I must say I find all this very interesting, especially the stories. It certainly adds an extra dimension to who these men really were. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone has any photos, would love to put faces to the names. Being from Sheffield I can't believe i've not heard about any of this until now.

Its been really interesting thread to read. I really must ask me mum what she remembers :o

All I can remember is me Granny saying...ohhh the Mooney gang..

Her mum, me grt nan, had a fishmonger shop on Solly Street and was there from c1910ish to at least 1928ish.... reallly wish I had listened to her tales now.....from wot i remember her telling me in the early 70's (me just a mere youngster :hihi:) is that they were "scared" of the gang....

lol saying that.....family story has it that me grt nan once chopped off the end of a guys nose with a meat cleaver...for nicking a rabbit she had on display outside her shop!!!! :gag::P

lmao then she gave him the "stolen" rabbit to feed his kids.....she just din't like thieves!!!

will quiz me ma and uncle an see wot they remember

Loz

My mate Sid heard on Grapevine over weekend that some local Sheffield bloke has written a book about Mooneys and Gavins and other gang war families in sheffiel in the 1920's. They said it was gonna be published and in shops by Christmas. Overheard some bloke talkin to afella from Germany about book, said it was gonna be called "The Caulbearer" and somethin about a family called Terney or Tierney. Also my mate sid said that there was anova bloke who was talkin about George Mooney and a bare knuckle fighter who was supposed to be the govnor in area from 65 to about 1978 Ernie Fernehough. Can't find any info on this bloke any body heard of family or any connections?

just thought i would try and buy book but cant find anythin, anyone know anythin please ler us know.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,new here! I'm researching my family and and have come across a story regarding my grandfather-apparently he used to court one of Mooney's sisters in the early 20's and used to tell my mum about the times when Mooney's would be going on a job,and not to involve him they would send him home!!my grandads name was Arnie Redmile( A.G.Redmile,builders)and at the time lived on Woodseats Road-just wondering if anyone could recollect him,as he was such a qiuet,god fearing man ! thanks

Keep taking the tablets. Tell Sid not to forget his either.

My mate Sid heard on Grapevine over weekend that some local Sheffield bloke has written a book about Mooneys and Gavins and other gang war families in sheffiel in the 1920's. They said it was gonna be published and in shops by Christmas. Overheard some bloke talkin to afella from Germany about book, said it was gonna be called "The Caulbearer" and somethin about a family called Terney or Tierney. Also my mate sid said that there was anova bloke who was talkin about George Mooney and a bare knuckle fighter who was supposed to be the govnor in area from 65 to about 1978 Ernie Fernehough. Can't find any info on this bloke any body heard of family or any connections?

just thought i would try and buy book but cant find anythin, anyone know anythin please ler us know.

• 3 months later...
If you need any info on the mooneys, my great grand father was geoge mooney and my grandad that is still alive is jimmy mooney he knows very thing that went on.

Hello,

I wonder if yourself or your father Jimmy can tell me what became of Frances mooney,and John Thomas Mooney, children of George Mooney with his first wife Sarah. I ask as my gran was sarah's sister, Rose, or to put it another way my father is the first cousin of his children. I would love to know more about the family. Thanks.

If you need any info on the mooneys, my great grand father was geoge mooney and my grandad that is still alive is jimmy mooney he knows very thing that went on.

ask your dad how to get in touch with brendan and maria,terences son and daughter,your cousins,they have a 50 year old half brother who is anxious to meet them.