Sheffield Gang Wars

My father died aged 80 this year and the story of his mother came to light.............

She was born lilly Cresswell in Attercliffe daughter of John william Cresswell and Elizabeth Creswell formerly Bell, of Howden Road

In the 1920's she worked as a barmaid and became pregant and had a little girl Alice in 1923. It is said she instigated the father of Alice to murder someone for which he hung! The gang he belonged to took lilly with her baby and bought her a ticket for the first train out of Sheffield which was to skegness. she was told never to return to Sheffield with the baby ever again. For that reason when lilly sneaked back to her parents she only ever brought her son John william with her...

Has anyone ever heard anything similar to this story or know anything???

Does anyone have any information about the Sheffield Gang Wars of the 1920's?

I know there is some books that can be bought but was wanted some basic information.

i have load's ov info my family owned load's house's on cherry st. that's where one ov the gang's came from??

• 5 weeks later...

Hello, my Great Grandfather was George Mooney, my Grandmother was Francis, Georges daughter to his first maraige..., my father had very little to do with him, met him a couple of times as a child and attended his funeral. My dad has some family memorys and as a child was known by people who he didn't know, simply because they new he was a 'Mooney' even though he never carried the name as my Nan married, apparently he...looked like a Mooney and obviously these times weren't forgotton overnight, RIP Francis.

Hi can anyone help? My grandad was in the silk muffler gang, I have heard of a silk scarf gang is it the same? And are they anything to do with Mooney and the others. Grandad lived on Solly St where I believe they drank.

My mum also mentioned a guy called Ripon who her mother talked about when they lived on the Wybourne. He lived on the crescent mum says and disappeaerd when Shillito came looking for him!

I am writing a book/family geneology of my family and any info would help.

many thanks

reddeb x

According to family legend my grandad was in the silk scarf gang. Has anyone any information on them?

My Dad used to talk about the 'Silk Scarf " gangs in Sheffield, I guess they would be around the early 1900's.

He said different gang members wore different coloured scarves.

He said they used to carry their razors in their cap nebs.

All this was yonks ago, I wonder if anyone else has heard of these sheffield gangs.

Happy Days! Or were they?

Yes, my grandad was in the white silk gang apparently and I was also told about the razors in thier caps.

Yes, my grandad was in the white silk gang apparently and I was also told about the razors in thier caps.

hiya

my mother-in-law once told me when she started work around 1924 she palled up with a workmate who had also just started work when she told her dad her friends name he barred her from seeing the girl the name was either garvin or mooney, wonder how many times this happened to her, sins of the father..

later she married my father in law whos father was a bookmaker in the park district,he was listed on the census as living by own means..the game as some have said, was a tossing ring was on sky edge where they would bet on the outcome of tossing two coins in the air dependent on how they fell, i remember a small group on the street i lived on just after the war doing this. another when i was young was to draw a square about six inches from the wall and lay four stones in the square and bounce a tennis ball to knock the stones out of the square, when any older people saw us doing this they told us it was against the law, why,? they never said.

Edited by willybite

hiya

my mother-in-law once told me when she started work around 1924 she palled up with a workmate who had also just started work when she told her dad her friends name he barred her from seeing the girl the name was either garvin or mooney, wonder how many times this happened to her, sins of the father..

later she married my father in law whos father was a bookmaker in the park district,he was listed on the census as living by own means..

My grandparents lived in Hollis Croft, which was just a bit higher up than Corporation Street, where I was told the Mooneys lived.

• 1 month later...

My maiden name is Rippon and my grandfather Frank Rippon lived around Pitsmoor at the time of the Sheffield gang wars.

Does anyone know anything about the Rippon who was with 'Jock' (Wiiiam) Plummer in the original fight with the Fowler Brothers? The Fowler Brothers later returned with a bigger crew to get Jock Plummer on his own, unfortunately they went too far and killed him.

My maiden name is Rippon and my grandfather Frank Rippon lived around Pitsmoor at the time of the Sheffield gang wars.

Does anyone know anything about the Rippon who was with 'Jock' (Wiiiam) Plummer in the original fight with the Fowler Brothers? The Fowler Brothers later returned with a bigger crew to get Jock Plummer on his own, unfortunately they went too far and killed him.

hi there is a site about the gang wars take a look at it , has some interesting info on it i think somewhere way back i am related to the fowler brothers and have done some research not com across rippon but im sure there will be some more info on that on the site there is also a link with the the name goddard as well don tknow if that name has come up in your family lots of love j