Sheffield Gang Wars

The night of that murder my grandfather got off the tram at the wicker arches and a couple of men (not sure if they were on the tram) came over to him and told him that if anybody asked where they had been to tell them that they had been with him all night. I am unsure if my grandfather knew the men, as the story was told to me by my mother, but the next day they heard about the murder.

One of those mentioned was my Grandfather !

• 3 months later...

Sam Garvin lived on our street (Kearsley Road) when I was a kid. Us kids thought he was such a nice man giving us sweets. My Grandparents knew him from when they lived in Darnall. When they thought I was old enough, they told me what a rogue he was. Gran said that the strong rumour was that Sam Garvin was part of the murder and after jumped on a tram to the Wicker and slashed a fellow with a razor to create an alibi.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
My father died aged 80 this year and the story of his mother came to light.............

She was born lilly Cresswell in Attercliffe daughter of John william Cresswell and Elizabeth Creswell formerly Bell, of Howden Road

In the 1920's she worked as a barmaid and became pregant and had a little girl Alice in 1923. It is said she instigated the father of Alice to murder someone for which he hung! The gang he belonged to took lilly with her baby and bought her a ticket for the first train out of Sheffield which was to skegness. she was told never to return to Sheffield with the baby ever again. For that reason when lilly sneaked back to her parents she only ever brought her son John william with her...

Has anyone ever heard anything similar to this story or know anything???

I am familiar with this story.

• 9 months later...

Recently donated a photo to Sheffield Library Picture Sheffield website showing members of the Mooney Gang taken around the time of the Sheffield Gang Wars. It was also in The Star Retro supplement in February.

Can't post a weblink, so visit picturesheffield and then search for Mooney Gang (picture t07875)

In the photo there are George "Ganner" Wheywell (in braces), Tommy Rippon (trilby hat) and his younger brother Harry Rippon (crouching down). Fourth man is unknown.

Ganner Wheywell was originally a member of Sam Garvin's Park Brigade but changed his allegiances to the Mooney Gang in 1925. Anyone who has read the Sheffield Gang Wars book will know that he featured in much of the trouble.

Tommy Rippon was another named member of the Mooney Gang.

On the evening that ex-soldier Jock Plommer was murdered in Princess St, Sam Garvin and his brother got off a tram in the Wicker and assaulted Harry Rippon, who was on his way to the Bull & Oak pub. Many believed that the main purpose of this assault was to place themselves away from the scene of the murder in Attercliffe.

Don't know who took the photo, where or exactly when. It passed into the possession of Rippon relatives who subsequently moved away from Sheffield.

Anyone know who the fourth man is?

We know that Peter Winsey (another Mooney Gang member) was a pal of Harry Rippon. Tommy Rippon was married to Peter Winsey's sister Mary Anne. Could it be him?

Edited by rebrab
Make post clearer