A.B.C streets and bottom road

any bottom road 70 plus still alive ? contact me to ex change story,s

yea still alive much to the dismay of the insurance co who have to pay me every month i'm now 80 but my dad was about 100 and my mum in her 90 so going to get a few bob out of them yet:D:D adrian clarke 511 penistone rd

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Can anyone tell me why Owlerton is now pronounced Howl oton? It was always pronounced

O lerton when I lived there. Anyone agree?

Yes, and it's very annoying. I think it must be because when locals have moved out, people coming new into the area just presume it's pronounced as it is written. I've heard it pronounced as OWlerton on Look North too.

Also, the fact that Sheffield Wednesday are known as "The Owls", reinforces the assumption that OHlerton is pronounced OWlerton. When I was little, my mum supported Sheffield Wednesday and my dad supported Sheffield United and they used to say "we go to OHlerton (note not OWlerton nor Hillsborough) one week and Bramall Lane the other".

I've heard Malin Bridge being pronounced as Mallin Bridge too ........

Back to topic - the ABC streets, Anlaby, Brough (?), Cottam and Driffield- it makes me smile (and no offence implied to people who lived there) that my very rough and ready working class family and their neighbours who lived in Haden Street and Harrison Road considered they were "a cut above", those who lived "down int' ABC streets". Says a lot about human nature and brings to mind the Marty Feldman sketch of 1996 with John Cleese, Ronnie Corbett and Ronnie Barker.

I'm sure there are already other threads on SF recalling memories of the ABC streets.

Edited by susie1
Correction