The streets were at the side of Daniel Doncasters and the land is now a

car dealership. We lived on Cottam Street until the slum clearance of

the late sixties/ early seventies. Mum worked at Blackwells on Penistone

Road and then as a cleaner at DDs. The roads are opposite Burton Street

where the old school was.

On my first day there i escaped at break, crossed the old Penistone road

to get home. I was back in school by dinner time after being collected by a

member of Burton Street school. :-)

So, as a further question, if you look at the area now on streetview http://goo.gl/maps/D4lPA the dual carriageway is marked as Penistone Road but so is the smaller road behind it. Was then the dual carriageway an entire new construction and was the smaller road the original Penistone Road that the ABC streets lead off from? I can't tell from the historical map I posted earlier.

...was the smaller road the original Penistone Road that the ABC streets lead off from?...
Yes, the smaller road is in about the same position as the original Penistone Road. Here is a comparison of an old map and a modern "Bing" aerial view of the comparable area..:) Edited by hillsbro

Have you ever seen this site Hillsbro? You can clearly see where the new road was smashed through Fawley Road, Hicks Road and other buildings (factories?).

It's good because you move the cursor on one map and it follows on the other.

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sidebyside.cfm#zoom=17&lat=53.39676&lon=-1.4905&layers=6

Thanks for linking that.What a great site to investigate.

Yes, and it's very annoying. I think it must be because when locals have moved out, people coming new into the area just presume it's pronounced as it is written. I've heard it pronounced as OWlerton on Look North too.

Also, the fact that Sheffield Wednesday are known as "The Owls", reinforces the assumption that OHlerton is pronounced OWlerton. When I was little, my mum supported Sheffield Wednesday and my dad supported Sheffield United and they used to say "we go to OHlerton (note not OWlerton nor Hillsborough) one week and Bramall Lane the other".

I've heard Malin Bridge being pronounced as Mallin Bridge too ........

Back to topic - the ABC streets, Anlaby, Brough (?), Cottam and Driffield- it makes me smile (and no offence implied to people who lived there) that my very rough and ready working class family and their neighbours who lived in Haden Street and Harrison Road considered they were "a cut above", those who lived "down int' ABC streets". Says a lot about human nature and brings to mind the Marty Feldman sketch of 1996 with John Cleese, Ronnie Corbett and Ronnie Barker.

I'm sure there are already other threads on SF recalling memories of the ABC streets.

Thank you Susie1. I'm glad someone else agrees with me!

---------- Post added 05-03-2015 at 10:06 ----------

Thanks for linking that.What a great site to investigate.

Brilliant! Thank you!