The summer of 1976

i seem to remember the summers were always long and hot in the 70s / 80s?

i was never in, always out with mi mates climbing trees, riding bikes, camping, swimming in rivers and dykes

mind u i was never in in the winter either playing in the snow lol, tobogganing, making igloos, snowballing

The summer of 76 was off the scale for a lot of us, never seen before or since really, I was just coming into 18, I remember the roads melting the weather was fantastic.

When it was summer holidays it always seemed nice, as we like you say were never in, loved my childhood in the 60's.

The summer of 76 was off the scale for a lot of us, never seen before or since really, I was just coming into 18, I remember the roads melting the weather was fantastic.

When it was summer holidays it always seemed nice, as we like you say were never in, loved my childhood in the 60's.

and my childhood in the 70s :thumbsup:

The fantastic summer was followed by one of the heaviest snowfalls one Thursday afternoon.We were collecting a brand new car from Sheffield for delivery to chapletown garage as we set off the snow started falling,flakes like dinner plates,we arrived in Sheffield the roads were not to bad but the return to chapletown was a nightmare and we were stuck in traffic on woolywood bottom for about an hour.We decided to leave the cars and walk back to the garage,thanks to radio Sheffield's traffic service it was established Stocksbridge was cut off so i made my way to Sheffield to stop at my mother-in-laws for the night, when i got there at about ten at night the wife had also done the same thing so it was down to the Highway on Pye Bank road for some sleeping medicine, what a day.

I will always remember 1976 I was 14 and we spent the holidays at Millhouses lido or Endcliffe Park, and our parents would take us to sit outside the Prince of Wales pub on Ecclesall Rd as a treat on Sunday afternoons. It will always be one of the best memories I have.

Archived