The summer of 1976

Wasn't '76 the summer of the ladybirds? I was little, but I'm sure I remember hillocks of dead ladybirds piled up in the gutters while on holiday in Bridlington.

The summer of the greenflies came soon after, as I recall, when the only places where you didn't get swamped by an insecty green mist was indoors or when paddling in the sea.

2003 was a scorcher too, at least August was.

Wasn't '76 the summer of the ladybirds? I was a little, but I'm sure I remember hillocks of dead ladybirds piled up in the gutters while on holiday in Bridlington.

The summer of the greenflies came soon after, as I recall, when the only places where you didn't get swamped by an insecty green mist was indoors or when paddling in the sea.

cant remember what year but i remember the ladybird storm, think we were at blackpool?

couldve been somewhere else lol, hiding in a bus stop trying to eat sarnies away from the ladybirds

I was in Chester that year. I remember the ladybird thing very well. They were everywhere, crunching underfoot as we walked to the shops. I remember groups of us lying, sweltering, on the grass of the racecourse (The Roodee) if was possible to just wander on to it then...oh yes...I got married that year too...

Wasn't '76 the summer of the ladybirds? I was little, but I'm sure I remember hillocks of dead ladybirds piled up in the gutters while on holiday in Bridlington.

It was indeed. I remember going outside and trying not to step on ladybirds (but the buggers were everywhere!)

Then the ladybirds ate all the aphids (and all the other insects, too.)

Then they were still hungry and they started biting the people.

Then I stopped trying not to step on them.

It was indeed. I remember going outside and trying not to step on ladybirds (but the buggers were everywhere!)

Then the ladybirds ate all the aphids (and all the other insects, too.)

Then they were still hungry and they started biting the people.

Then I stopped trying not to step on them.

Forgot about the ladybirds we had cars coming in with the air filters literally choked with them.

1976 was a fantastic summer - but then every summer was fantastic in those days irrespective of the weather - i was 11 in 1976 and, in the words of the song (although a different year) "the summer seemed to last forever.........those were the best days of my life"

i remember going to my first cricket match - in Scarborough - England against the West Indies - it was packed - viv richards was in his pomp and we got hammered - the best part about it was the knickerbocker glory on the way back to the caravan - just me and my dad - happy days

We got married on July the 5th one of the hottest days that year at Christ church pitsmoor ,the church was like an oven and when we got to the reception the three tier cake was on the floor, well the top two layers and all the snap was dried up.In the background of the photos are the local kids many in swimming costumes as was the practice in those days.

Archived