Nasty hot weather.

14lb! a good fish Charlie well done bud.

As for me not risked it since this heatwave started but I've weakened and tomorrow morning I'm going to have a try, can't see me lasting too long though.

---------- Post added 17-07-2013 at 12:15 ----------

Fished pond 5 at Aston Charlie, a very hot day fished so well I lasted all day.

Only had fish to 2lb but a very good day fishing but to be fair I don't want bigger fish, but I didn't enjoy the heat.

I had a little trip down the plumpers stretch of the canal yesterday. Just took chum mixers and bread. Now I've heard and read before about there being carp in the canal but I never really took any notice. WOW!! I must have seen 15-20 carp all cruising on the surface. I thought I was a dead cert to catch...... But I didn't. They were very wise and just took the freebies and not my hook bait. Enjoyed the whole "stalking" experience too, I need to do it again.

One thing that annoyed me slightly was the large amount of litter left by fishermen. I must have picked up 10 meters of strong line and ground bait bags along with sweetcorn tins. Why can't folk put it in a bag and bin it!

On the BBC news a couple of weeks ago on Bournemouth beach the local council removed 20 ton of rubbish from one weekend. But I understand when you talk of line and bait bags plus corn tins it can only be fishermen. It seems we have taken another backward step regarding litter.

Why does the majority of the English population think it ok to just throw anything anywhere.

Back on track though, when using floaters Swalk are you having your hook touching your bait or on a hair.

I had my hook touching. It only kinda dawned on me when I got home thats probably why they didn't go for it. Is that the only stretch with carp in? Is it worth walking towards town to see if there's any? I know Victoria quays has some but I also know you can't fish it.

I had my hook touching. It only kinda dawned on me when I got home thats probably why they didn't go for it. Is that the only stretch with carp in? Is it worth walking towards town to see if there's any? I know Victoria quays has some but I also know you can't fish it.

carp are present in the whole of the canal. i generally park at tinsley marina

and walk either towards town or the other way down to the plumpers putting

floating baits in various swims then looking for feeding fish on the way back.

as regards litter, last week on the towpath above the top basin, there was a

disposable barbie along with various empty beer bottles and food packaging.

the dirty b******s had even left the bags they brought it in!

I only fish floating baits on the pole nowadays but I used to like to free line biscuits years ago with a rod. It's surprising how far a soaked biscuit will cast with no extra weight or controler added.

While the weather is as it is, why not have a bit of sport with with a fly set up. 7wt rod and floating line, with 10ft of leader 10lb down to 6lb and various immitation egg flies( look like chum mixer) and hang on to the rod. It works believe me.

Archived