Children of the 50s,teens of the 60s,did we have a better childhood

And then after WW 2 came Stalin saying U.k first to get the nukes ,and then along came Korea now that was such fun,we put up with the high death rate for kids with T.B and all the other host of killers,thinks the kids are much better off today, so if they spend to much time playing silly games on computer thats the fault of those lazy 50s rock fans LOL

Just been talking to our 14 year old granddaughter. She's off on a cruise on Thursday. As this is her birthday, today she's going to a salon to get her nails done . Going out for dinner to an expensive restaurant with her parents this evening. She has a new I-pad for her b/day present. Last year their holiday was a couple of weeks in Hawaii, and they just bought a new RAV4 car.

A night at the pictures once a week was a real treat, we thought ourselves lucky to go to Cleethorpes for a day, and our annual holiday was a week in a rented caravan in Skeggy. A fabulous present at 14 would have been a 45 record of Elvis, or one of the other pop singers of the 50's.

However no-one ever said they were bored, tried to keep up with the Jones's or the latest fashion trends, and only a few were lucky enough to have a car of any kind. An old Wigfalls gaspipe bike, or the public transport system was my mode of transport, never once feeling badly done to. Better off these days? I doubt it.

As you say Truman it was brilliant & a lot less complicated, I remember if we didn't have a football we'd used the bladder out of an old casey (cue the scratching heads lol), we'd play cricket by drawing stumps in chalk on walls, all in all it was brilliant.

When we lived at Gleadless we'd go down the drains just at bottom of the hill, brilliant we knew no fear I've posted this next thing before but it sums up what we are talking about so i feel it's appropriate.

WE WAS BRUNG UP PROPER !!

"And we never had a whole Mars bar until 1993"!!!

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL MY FRIENDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE

1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70’s

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank Sherry while they carried us and lived in houses made of asbestos...

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese, bread and dripping, raw egg products, loads of bacon and processed meat, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes or cervical cancer.

Then after that trauma, our baby cots were covered with bright coloured lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets or shoes, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

Take away food was limited to fish and chips, no pizza shops, McDonalds , KFC, Subway or Nandos.

Even though all the shops closed at 6.00pm and didn't open on a Sunday, somehow we didn't starve to death!

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We could collect old drink bottles and cash them in at the corner store and buy Toffees, Gobstoppers and Bubble Gum.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter, milk from the cow, and drank soft drinks with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because......

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O..K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of old prams and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. We built tree houses and dens and played in river beds with matchbox cars.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo Wii , X-boxes, no video games at all, no 999 channels on SKY ,

no video/dvd films, or colour TV

no mobile phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no

Lawsuits from these accidents.

Only girls had pierced ears!

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

You could only buy Easter Eggs and Hot Cross Buns at Easter time....

We were given air guns and catapults for our 10th birthdays,

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Mum didn't have to go to work to help dad make ends meet because we didn't need to keep up with the Jones's!

Not everyone made the rugby/football/cricket/netball team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!! Getting into the team was based on

MERIT

Our teachers used to hit us with canes and gym shoes and throw the blackboard rubber at us if they thought we weren't concentrating ..

We can string sentences together and spell and have proper conversations because of a good, solid three R's education..

Our parents would tell us to ask a stranger to help us cross the road.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of.

They actually sided with the law!

Our parents didn't invent stupid names for their kids like 'Kiora' and 'Blade' and 'Ridge' and 'Vanilla'

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO

DEAL WITH IT ALL !

And YOU are one of them!

CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.

And while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.

AND we were really happy:bigsmile:

Also

Never begrudged the better off = I remember going to my friends 10th birthday party ( the optician's daughter). She had tinned salmon sandwiches and strawberries and ice cream for her party - I still remember thinking - one day I will have this (I got potted meat sandwiches and jelly and carnation milk at my party). I was not jealous just determined to work hard to attain the same. I now get fed up with scottish wild salmon which my husband catches and takes to the smokery!

AND we were really happy:bigsmile:

Also

Never begrudged the better off = I remember going to my friends 10th birthday party ( the optician's daughter). She had tinned salmon sandwiches and strawberries and ice cream for her party - I still remember thinking - one day I will have this (I got potted meat sandwiches and jelly and carnation milk at my party). I was not jealous just determined to work hard to attain the same. I now get fed up with scottish wild salmon which my husband catches and takes to the smokery!

Tinned salmon! My old ma would buy a tin if she was flushed and the hiddy it in case we had visitors and she could show off.

She also used to hiddy the spam and carnation milk for special occasions, she were majic my old adopted Ma.

Remember condensed milk sarnys,bread and dripping,bread and butter spread with sugar and don,t forget corsey edges bread and jam all weshed darn with a bottle o watur that ended up swimming wi breadcrumbs!.We alus took that lot on our long days out walking or on our push bikes in the 50s,we had got nowt but we were alus happy and carefree!.

I still think you're looking back with rose tinted specs when i left U.K (in 65)one of many reasons was even with 3 jobs on the go (one top pay)it was hard to put a meal on the table the crunch came when my wife was going out and buying ONE pork chop for the old mans supper,now todayI had my grandson come over got him to do a few tasks and was no problem to spring him $60 for him to take the love of his life out ,are kids better of today you bet your life they are

I still think you're looking back with rose tinted specs when i left U.K (in 65)one of many reasons was even with 3 jobs on the go (one top pay)it was hard to put a meal on the table the crunch came when my wife was going out and buying ONE pork chop for the old mans supper,now todayI had my grandson come over got him to do a few tasks and was no problem to spring him $60 for him to take the love of his life out ,are kids better of today you bet your life they are

Better of in material things maybe but not in manners ,or fitness.

We would have never expected money from our mam or dad to do odd jobs in fact it was the oposite way round, as soon as we started work we tipped up our wages to help with the house hold bills etc your mam then gave you your spendo ! just a few bob but we felt like millionares.

The Fifties & Sixties were a great time to be young in Sheffield------at least compared to today !

There 's no point in trying to compare material things we have today with what we had then [ " Oh, Grandad, how did you manage without mobile phones ? " .........etc.....etc.....] People don 't compare themselves with the future [ How can we ? It 's an unknown

factor ! ] but they DO compare themselves with the past.

In the Fifties & Sixties, the horrors of the second World War were beginning to fade. Materially, everything was getting better and better------more cars, more t.v 's, more foreign holidays..........etc.....etc...Universities were expanding and socially people were more liberated [ easier divorce, gay rights ]. Even if everything wasn 't perfect [ It never

is ! ] we felt that we were moving forward, steadily and confidently.

There was very little unemployment, in fact there was a shortage of labour in many industries.

No wonder we generally felt quite happy as many posters have accurately pointed out. What went wrong then ? Well, this is not the place to go into all that. All that we can hope, is that by some miracle, something like those 2 decades will return. Some hope !

Better of in material things maybe but not in manners ,or fitness.

We would have never expected money from our mam or dad to do odd jobs in fact it was the oposite way round, as soon as we started work we tipped up our wages to help with the house hold bills etc your mam then gave you your spendo ! just a few bob but we felt like millionares.

manners is how you'er brought up same with fitness, 4 yrs ago we moved to a small town by the lake and right away we notice how super polite all the kids were and since there are no bus every one walks or jogs I supose if you look hard they must be the odd drugie but i have yet to see one,living in a small town for the young it must get a little boring (NO MALLS) on any week end all the the kids are of to local hockey games in the winter and baseball or soccer in the summer ,its a great life:love::love::love:

Archived